News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Singularity / Blue Guv

Started by juansolo, October 12, 2014, 05:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I'm going to run out of black hole related words for compressors before long.  Anyhow...

Based on a DOD280 I believe, built on Jason's (Jubal81) 280KG Gorilla board, this optical comp is a belter.

Put it this way, the reason most of my comps went in the purge was because this came along.

This was a kit that Colin (Blue) has had tucked away for years and never got around to building. When it was eventually tracked down it was sent my way. It's a GGG Guv'nor clone with loads of newbie unfriendly offboard wiring. Still, it's done and it does what it says on the tin. I think GGG's own Gonader is a hell of a lot easier to build though.

Box was pre-drilled so she's ended up with a bit of a 3rd eye thing going on...

Right, that's it, I'm off. Catcha in 3.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

wgc

13 views and no comments.  It's mad I think, "messy" wiring and all. :)

These look great as always, love the graphics.

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

juansolo

All my other stuff looks neat because I cheat. Give me a 'standard' build and it all goes to hell. ;)

flanagan0718

These look fantastic, messy wiring my a$$. The standoffs for the board are nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jubal81

Great looking stuff! Glad you dig the comp.
It's amazing how quickly we've gotten spoiled by board mounted pots and switches. I'm going to have to go find a demo of that puppy.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

wgc

Quote from: jubal81 on October 12, 2014, 06:38:56 PM
It's amazing how quickly we've gotten spoiled by board mounted pots and switches.

That was actually my point, though I think Juan is the only one who got the joke. Cursed to have such a dry sense of humor.

I would be overjoyed if my wiring looked that good! 

Looking forward to the demo.  Jon's bear hug has made me much more interested in comps.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

juansolo

There's an errant grey wire on the right that belongs with the other two by the switch. It was built before I decalled it and taken out and put back in again...

It's making my OCD itch, but I've already boxed it up to send it back to him so I can't correct it and take another photo.

TGP39

Juan it looks fantastic. I'll be damned if I can get just three pots in a row to look straight. I just might buy me a laser and somehow rig it to my drill press to help my tired eyes follow a straight path.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

lars

You always have such great artwork on your builds! Really digging that compressor graphic; do I see a hidden LED in there?

selfdestroyer

I really love the artwork of the Guv'nor. Off-board pot wiring sucks but you handled it with ease. Looks great.

Cody

alanp

Bloody nice stuff there, Juan :D

Quote from: wgc on October 12, 2014, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on October 12, 2014, 06:38:56 PM
It's amazing how quickly we've gotten spoiled by board mounted pots and switches.
That was actually my point, though I think Juan is the only one who got the joke. Cursed to have such a dry sense of humor.

I don't mind being spoiled. It saves a lot of time, and also looks neater. It means the pots only need one set of solder joints that can go cold, rather than a set of solder joints at the pot and another set at the board (along with a nice breakable wire.) The single set of solder joints are also easily visible, compared to wires.

That said, I have a Tau Pipe 5U phaser on the way, and I'm not looking forward to the wiring on THAT puppy!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DPTX

Love the graphics.  You are a real inspiration.

LaceSensor

i listened to demo of the reissue DOD 280 and found I didnt appreciate how the attack and squash sounded
seemed very "un-transparent"

Is this one the same?

Killer builds in any case - plus, cheekily, its nice to see some fallibilty in your wiring for once! ;)

juansolo

If I'd done it with the green solid core as a one shot build, it'd have been much neater. But it was the nature of the kit.

I reckon the 280 is really 'transparent'. Really needed the correct vactrol to play ball though.

muddyfox

I'm a sucker for 0ohms, great touch on the stomp!