News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

7-String Les Paul? Yes

Started by culturejam, October 10, 2014, 02:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I doubt this will be around long. Don't believe there's a lot of overlap between the people who want and can afford Gibsons and the people who do the chugga-chugga.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

madbean

Okay, that is friggin hot. I don't care what anyone else says. It look badass.

flanagan0718

Quote from: madbean on October 10, 2014, 03:08:50 PM

Yup! I know Epiphone did one in the late 90's early 2000's. Some one on the forum bought one. I'd get one.

EDIT: As long as it doesn't have those garbage robot tuners!

Govmnt_Lacky

I love how Gibson released the 7-string version on their "Classic" line  ::)

Ironic  8)

mremic01

Do blues lawyers play Korn now?

playpunk

I feel so persecuted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on October 10, 2014, 03:08:50 PM

I like it, too. And I'm surprised it is as "cheap" as it is.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 10, 2014, 04:23:44 PM

I agree. But then again the 2014 Classics weren't very classic either. I really don't see why they have both Traditional and Classic as model/line names. It's confusing to me, as those words are at least generally synonyms. Might as well add a Vintage line and an Old-School line to muddy it up.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

It looks like a cool guitar.  What year is that?

It doesn't have the 2014 twelfth fret inlay, nor does it have that brass nut/zero fret that is supposedly standard on the Gibson USA line for 2015.  I can't remember Gibson using Seymour Duncans in the past either, but perhaps they have.  Maybe they just didn't want to develop a 7-string pickup.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: culturejam on October 10, 2014, 04:43:32 PM

I agree. But then again the 2014 Classics weren't very classic either. I really don't see why they have both Traditional and Classic as model/line names. It's confusing to me, as those words are at least generally synonyms. Might as well add a Vintage line and an Old-School line to muddy it up.  ;D

Just proof that their line names do not really refer to the "type" guitar but, more to the way they price....

If this was under the "Traditional" line the tag would probably read $3500-5000  :o

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on October 10, 2014, 04:47:29 PM
It looks like a cool guitar.  What year is that?

Not sure, but I would assume a 2015. It just started to show up at Euro dealers, as far as I can tell.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_classic_7_string.htm

Could be that they didn't want to design the "new stuff" around a 7-string body for just one model/year.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

RobA

According to their website, it's a 2014. Not all the 2014's had the 12th fret marker. I think they've used SD's in a couple of other special situations too.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

Wouldn't a Korn fan buy an Ibanez 7 string, since that's who brought out Munky's signature guitar?

That said, decent looking LP, the headstock reminds me of those Italia guitar headstocks for some reason...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mremic01

A typical Korn fan, yeah. But a blues lawyer's got to have a Gibson. Anything less would be plebeian.

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 10, 2014, 04:49:31 PM
Quote from: culturejam on October 10, 2014, 04:43:32 PM

Just proof that their line names do not really refer to the "type" guitar but, more to the way they price....

If this was under the "Traditional" line the tag would probably read $3500-5000  :o

The Classic predates the Traditional by a long time, somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 years.

The original classic came out in the early 90's and was more expensive than the Standard.  It had more traditional binding and appointments and a thin neck (supposedly like a '60 Les Paul), push in tuners, etc.  Oddly, they had Ceramic pickups, which aren't accurate at all.

At the time, Gibson also released the precursors to the Historic series. From what I've read, the early ones weren't all that different than the Classic, but they were a lot more expensive (and not terribly accurate).  Eventually, the Reissues (eventually Historics) became a better attempt at an accurate representation of the old ones to justify their price tag.  They also changed the silkscreen on the Classic to further differentiate it (and to keep people from changing a few parts and passing them off as a reissue).

The Classic got killed off for a while, but they brought it back.  My guess is they wanted to trade on a known model name, but this time around, it was less about it being a reissue style guitar.

The Traditional is a newer creation.  For years, Gibson made the Les Paul standard with solid mahogany, but as the world's supply has been restricted and/or used up, it's getting more difficult to get lightweight body blanks.  The lightest ones generally get bounced to the Historic lines.  Because of some complaints about the weight (and probably some sensitivity to all the boat anchor references from the Norlin era Les Pauls), Gibson started using weight relieved bodies (some refer to as Swiss Cheese bodies).  As the bodies continued to get heavier, it Swiss Cheese holes weren't enough so they started routing more wood out of the center.  If the holes get big enough, it starts to affect the sound a bit, like a chambered body.  Of course, the size of the holes affects the resonance and they tried to balance the effect out.  Some folks complained that they wanted a "solid" body, even if the weight was a bit more, thus the Traditional was born.  I thought the Traditionals were fully solid, but I was incorrect; they simply revert back to the old Standard formula with Swiss Cheese holes.  You can see the differences here:

So basically, the models are confusing, but there is a history there that apparently Gibson didn't want to rip up:

- Classic: originally a 1960 reissue style guitar, less so these days.  Probably has standard Gibson weight relief
- Standard: updated version of the classic design with small weight relief chambers
- Traditional: closer to the old standards with fewer holes (swiss cheese style).  Usually heavier than Standards.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper