News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Build report: HM2 v2

Started by the3secondrule, October 04, 2014, 12:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

Quote from: Bret608 on October 06, 2014, 02:31:49 PM
Always liked this circuit...Adam Franklin from Swervedriver was using them back when I saw them a few times in the mid-to-late '90s. The band Love Battery which may be less well known also had a guitarist using one. A lot of people were using these back before Russian Muffs got easier to find. Yes, I know, not the same thing, but I think the HM-2 filled that niche at the time. Cuts like a knife in a loud band mix, as well.

I'll keep an eye out for if you do another run. Really nice work on the layout!  :)

Apparently Kevin Shields (MBV) and David Pajo (slint) are other notable users.
Definitely gets that 90's shoegazey wall of sound thing happening anyway.
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

the3secondrule

Quote from: juansolo on October 05, 2014, 09:35:07 AM
1590B is where I live. Board size looks fine, just gotta get the pots underneath the board rather than sticking out the top, then it'll fit fine. No need to go 9mm.

Yeah, i started working on a new layout for 1590b last night, but it's gonna be slow going. trying to decide whether I add in a few mods (mids pot being the main one). 5 pots in a 1590b may necessitate 9mm pots though. we'll see.

Might order a small run of these in the meantime...

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

the3secondrule

juansolo

Skreddy and Catlinbread do it too.

All I'm thinking is that 9mm pots can be a sod to get hold of outside the US. It limits appeal if you're planning on doing a run of boards that's all ;)

Yeah, I'm just thinking about me, me, me :P
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Bret608

1590b would be cool, but a 125b is a similar size to a classic Boss stompbox, right? I think I'd be happy either way honestly.

Off on a tangent now, but the Boss PN-2 was another staple of '90s shoegaze/MBV-dom. Was that just because it was the main trem available in pedal form at the time, or is there something special there? Worth a look?

the3secondrule

Quote from: Bret608 on October 07, 2014, 05:00:26 PM
1590b would be cool, but a 125b is a similar size to a classic Boss stompbox, right? I think I'd be happy either way honestly.

Off on a tangent now, but the Boss PN-2 was another staple of '90s shoegaze/MBV-dom. Was that just because it was the main trem available in pedal form at the time, or is there something special there? Worth a look?

The main reason. Went for the 125b over 1590b was so I could put the jacks at the top of the enclosure.
I wasn't even sure I'd get it in the 125b, but now that's confirmed, I'm definitely keen to have a crack at the smaller enclosure...

I've never tried a PN2 to be honest. It's definitely one that I want to try out.
Might be one to try and do a layout for... I suspect it's fairly complicated though...

Hexjibber

Put me down for a board or two!

the3secondrule

I've shrunk the layout a little more. it will fit in a 1590b, as long as you don't mind wiring the pots off board... (caveat: I haven't checked out how it'll fit with switches and jacks etc. board dimensions are 52x57mm, if anyone wants to check it).
It will still be able to have the board-mounted pots in a 125b.

I'm going to sanity-check it in the morning, then order 10 boards. maybe more?

Hexjibber

Quote from: the3secondrule on October 10, 2014, 12:30:47 PM
I've shrunk the layout a little more. it will fit in a 1590b, as long as you don't mind wiring the pots off board... (caveat: I haven't checked out how it'll fit with switches and jacks etc. dimensions are 52x57mm).
It will still be able to have the board-mounted pots in a 125b.

I'm going to sanity-check it in the morning, then order 10 boards. maybe more?

Sounds good man! Still up for a couple of boards for sure

circusbrains

the3secondrule

group buy opened up here for those who expressed an interest:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17804.0

8)

J

Muadzin

Is there a build doc for this Swedish baby?

the3secondrule

Quote from: Muadzin on October 13, 2014, 02:05:52 PM
Is there a build doc for this Swedish baby?

Not yet, but it's on my list :)

Tonight, hopefully

selfdestroyer

Got my board today. Thanks again.

Cody