News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question for Strymon Timeline Users (noise related)

Started by irmcdermott, September 29, 2014, 08:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Love my TimeLine. I've had it for about a year now, and it's a lot of fun. Just recently put a Klon back on my board (I have a love/hate relationship with that one), and there is a faint, but noticeable, whine/noise that is completely interactive with the TimeLine's Grit control. Changes pitch as you turn it.

I've been trying to read up on it, and it seems as though I'm not the only one that's had this issue, but no one has a solution. Klon is powered by my CIOKS DC10, the Timeline on it's own, separate, power supply. Seems like it may be charge pump related. I am using 7660SPCA charge pumps in my klon. Maybe I'll pick up a 1044SPCA and see what happens.

Anyone else have this issue?

jkokura

I don't have an issue with mine, but I have a TC1044 in.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

irmcdermott

Nice. Well, I may try that then and see what happens. Will just wait until the next time I buy parts.

LaceSensor

try the LT1054 charge pump too maybe?

there will be some kinda clock interference shit happening somewhere I imagine, but I dont know the technical term for that.

midwayfair

I think the Strymon power supply has a strange switching frequency. If you hook up dirt pedals to their power supply it whines line crazy. If you figure out that it's the chip, a ton of people on TGP will love you long time.

jkokura

Yeah, I also have issues with the Strymon supply, but also with other fairly common supplies. But I will say that the best is always using a quality suppy of some kind to power pedals. I have no issues with my Timeline using my Voodoo Labs 4x4 and anything else I want to power.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

selfdestroyer

I too have had issues with their PS and I recently upgraded to the VooDoo 4x4 and have had no more issues.I had a pumped up tonebender that would make noise only when it was on with my Big Sky, problem solved with the 4X4.

Cody

LaceSensor

I never had an issue when I used one of the Strymon PSUs, but that was before I bought a second pedal board power solution so cover the "holy trinity" properly.

Incidentally, and so my post doesnt just read as "haha, mines fine, yours isnt" I was reviewing ebay looking for a specific AC adaptor, and found the same models it seems strymon ship with for *extremely* cheap so personally I wouldnt rely on them for a long time in any case.

irmcdermott

So far the things that I've done are:

- Current setup: Klon powered by the DC10, TimeLine on it's on PSU
- I tried both on the DC10, with the TimeLine in one of the high current spots
- I tried Klon on a 1spot, and the Timeline on it's own, and in the DC10.

Same issue. I'll try a different charge pump, and if that doesn't work, then I'll just take it off the board until I can pick up a 4x4 or something, because my goal is to eventually have all three Big Strymon pedals on my board, 2 down, 1 to go there.

LaceSensor

id be more keen to ditch the picky klon than the superior timeline ;) then again I am a delay fan

irmcdermott

Oh, exactly. It's been off my board for a while, but with the two amps I've built recently, I've been swapping out overdrives, and when this issue came up, it caught my curiosity more than anything.