News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gibson Guitar in 2015

Started by alanp, September 24, 2014, 08:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

There've been a few articles now about how Gibson Les Pauls are going to come with robot tuners on ALL models, all the cheapo models are being scrapped, and the ones they're keeping are having the prices bumped up by 30%.

Personally, I can't afford a new Gibson LP (Rockshop NZ currently have the Standard LP for $4399NZD, discounted from $5,299NZD for the robot tuned Cherry Red Sunburst), so this really doesn't affect me, but I'm curious as to how any forumites rich enough to buy 'em feel on this.

Surely Gibson have to run out of blues lawyers to buy their guitars at this price at some stage?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stevie1556

If they are taking out all their cheaper models, it seems logical they need to raise their prices by X amount on the remaining models to cover any losses to the profits that the cheaper models would contribute.

However, I've seen a few articles, and I was in a guitar shop yesterday, and the prices are rediculous already.

drolo

I would be quite surprised if they managed to pull this off. With so many nostalgic guitarists that crave vintage instruments ...
If they really do it's quite a dangerous move.

raulduke

Interesting thread on this over on BYOC:

http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50430

I think it could be a good thing for a lot of smaller scale, boutique, guitar companies (fano, kauer, etc. etc.), as there must be a limit to what people are prepared to pay for what is essentially a mass produced item.

micromegas

I personally don't care, as much as I could have enjoyed playing any borrowed Gibson, I'll ever avoid them.

My reasons?
-- pricey
-- too much hype arround them
-- there are luthiers that build similar guitars but for a little less and customized to your needs
-- although most of the modern ones are relly well built, they are also really fragile instruments
-- they are known for using  illegal timber from Madagascar (tell that to the lemurs)

Buy guitars responsibly. I like to give my money to someone I could trust and for something I could rely on

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

drolo

Or build it yourself :-)
Since I built my first parts guitar I could never ever imagine shelling out that kind of money again (for an electric at least, an acoustic is a different thing). It's really fun building guitars and even winding pickups.
That said I do still have a LP studio I got in the nineties that I treasure, since it was my first "real" guitar. But they weren't THAT expensive then...

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: alanp on September 24, 2014, 08:58:40 AM
There've been a few articles now about how Gibson Les Pauls are going to come with robot tuners on ALL models, all the cheapo models are being scrapped, and the ones they're keeping are having the prices bumped up by 30%.

Personally, I do not know of any "cheapo" Gibson Les Pauls  :o unless you are talking about the latest inrush of Studio models. Even those run ~$1000USD! That is really not cheap to me and I make pretty damn good money!

Are you talking about them stopping their Epiphone line of instruments/guitars? If so, I cannot see Gibson actually surviving without them.

raulduke

All the hate (including my own) on Gibson is a shame in a way. It is kind of sad to see a company with such a heritage and history go down the sh*tter.

My mid 90's LP Studio is still my main guitar (I got it when I was fifteen... was so excited the day my Dad bought me it!).

I have other guitars, some 'posher', but the Studio is still my go to.

I also have an SG Special (in worn brown) that I bought from Thomann last year in a sale. It was an impulse buy, but it is far from a lemon, in fact it plays like a dream.

RobA

This would be a strange move on their part after just putting in all the effort in on establishing the low end models. The new Melody Maker and the 2014 LPJ are both really nice guitars for the money and well below $1000 US. The 2014 SGJ is a great guitar and sells for about (US)$500. I understand the hate towards Gibson. The consistency of their guitars had been horrible for years. I haven't considered buying one for decades. Every one of them I played in stores was crap. I tried out a bunch of the 2013 models and they all sucked. Then the 2014 guitars hit. Every one of them I've played is very good. I bought a 2014 SGJ and it's my favorite guitar to play.

I can see them eliminating some models -- they have too many. But, I can't see them getting rid of the low end. If they do put the robot tuners on everything, that'll put them right back in my won't even consider list.

The other thing is that the pressure they are seeing from other manufactures on the low end is huge. I picked up a Charvel Desolation SK-1 for $300 to do some messing around with EMG's -- the thing is amazing. There's no way Gibson can completely ignore this end of the market. If they do, it'll be a huge mistake. I could easily see buying the Charvel as a first guitar and finding out that I'd never need to "move up" to anything else.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

culturejam

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 24, 2014, 11:32:54 AM
Personally, I do not know of any "cheapo" Gibson Les Pauls

The LPJ model is about $750. Other models are cheaper. The SGJ is $480 and the Melody Maker is $550.

I actually just got a "demo" Melody Maker for $460 (being delivered today), which I think is a great price on a USA Gibson.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

flanagan0718

I love Gibson guitars. I have 2 of them. They are in fact the cheaper model and i think they play WAY better than some of the customs I've played. I have an SG Special (2002) with moon inlays and a Les Paul Special w/p100s (which I replaced with dimarzios). These models are the only way I could ever afford a Gibson (both are sub $1000 USD). If they go to all "robot tuners" (which IMO are garbage) I'll be forced to go somewhere else for guitars ie: Schecter, Ibanez, Epiphone, Jackson. Now that's not to say I don't like these brands I've had 2 Ibanez, 3 Schecter, 2 Epiphones, and...0 Jacksons. I personally think if they ditch the "bottom line" of their guitars they will loose quite a few customers. Could be the demise of...

jubal81

I can see how this works out from a business perspective. The word is out that foreign-made guitars are quality instruments these days and Gibson USA is already in reality a 'boutique' brand.

The people who can afford a $3,500 guitar and have to have a Gibson have the extra 30% to spend. Gibson will certainly lose some sales to other boutique brands, but probably not a whole lot since guitar gear's top selling point is, of course, perceived resale value.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

lars

I've never seen the robotic tuner option until now. I'm sorry, but that is one of the most worthless ideas I've ever seen on a guitar IMHO. And I do like Gibson guitars. Vintage ES-335's are some of the nicest-playing electric guitars I've ever used.

Leevibe

Quote from: jubal81 on September 24, 2014, 03:12:59 PM
I can see how this works out from a business perspective. The word is out that foreign-made guitars are quality instruments these days and Gibson USA is already in reality a 'boutique' brand.

The people who can afford a $3,500 guitar and have to have a Gibson have the extra 30% to spend. Gibson will certainly lose some sales to other boutique brands, but probably not a whole lot since guitar gear's top selling point is, of course, perceived resale value.

I pretty much agree with this. But robot tuners on all LP's? If that's true, I predict that Gibson won't stick with it for long. Maybe they'll find a way to charge even more for non-robot guitars!  ;D

muddyfox

Also, if they decide to go down the "expensive stuff only", they better step up their QC game. In the end it may actually be beneficial for the $3k+ folk, knowing that they will indeed (after some flaky time periods) be guaranteed a high-quality instrument.

Resale value is a big thing in price formation, methinks. Look at the Feline guitars that John mentioned a while back. Their top model goes for gbp3k and I can't see it fetching anywhere near that in resale. Not that people are unloading them often but I'm thinking they don't hold their value nowhere near a Gibson.