News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Your favorite geetars?

Started by sprayfe, May 03, 2011, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbean

Quote from: slimtriggers on May 06, 2011, 12:59:00 PM
I've done a Warmoth build.  The guitar in my avatar is a Warmoth.  Went together without a hitch.  Plays nice, sounds awesome!

Is that LP in the middle a Warmoth build?.. because I like it.  8)
es là-bas!!

slimtriggers

That's a Warmoth neck.  It's an old Gibson Sonex.  I broke the original neck back in high school when I accidentally tipped it over.  About 20 years later I completely re-did it.  Warmoth neck (bird's eye maple, pau ferro fret board, SS frets), Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90's, Tonepros bridge, Sperzel tuners. 

I painted it using the Paint Your Own Guitar method.  Which is just spray painting, BTW.   :D

redbean

Quote from: slimtriggers on May 11, 2011, 01:28:32 AM
I painted it using the Paint Your Own Guitar method.  Which is just spray painting, BTW. 

Ha!  ;D

I'd like to build a Warmoth SG style guitar. How does the Brazilian iron wood fretboard feel? I prefer ebony, but I'd consider using the pau ferro if it is dense and tightly grained like ebony.
es là-bas!!

small fish

Quote from: cjkbug on May 09, 2011, 01:01:16 PM
Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 06, 2011, 06:55:39 PM
Quote from: small fish on May 06, 2011, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 06, 2011, 06:14:47 PM
Ive got a couple of builds with Warmoth necks. They're great quality. The compound radius takes a while to get used to. I had maple fretboards on both of them and sanding between frets is a nightmare, also removing the lacquer from the frets can be a PITA. I got stainless steel frets for both of them and there is no sign of wear at all (on vintage/thin frets). I did a lot of work on my buddies strat a few days ago and he had a mighty mite neck which was surprisingly level (more so than both of my Warmoth necks), he said he bought it for $90! I have to get me one of those.   

Laquer on the frets???

You mean, they install the frets first...and then spray some paint on the neck???????
That´s quite shitty for the money they take, isn´t it?
I hope, I got it right  ;)

I didn't order it finished. I am pretty sure if they finish it for you there wont be an issue just because they can finish it before they install the frets.

I'm afraid they do come with the frets laquered. that is just how it's done. you have to spray them after fretting or you'll fill the fret slots with laquer. and you'l crack the finish when you press the frets in.

Ok, you´d crack the finish....but, to be honest: they charge about 270 bucks for a laquered, simple vintage strat neck (maple / rswd), add some shipping charges and you´re way up to 300. I´d really expect, to get a straight, playable neck. And not some kind of:"...well, almost done, but you´ll have to clean the laquer from the frets (we´d do it...for some extra fees...). They got some nice bodies an necks, but after that, I´d never buy a neck at Warmoth...seriously!

Don´t take me for granted, but at a certain amount of money (at Warmoth or any other seller), i´d really expect, to get some "clean" stuff, instead of "kind-of-playable".
Sorry, my opinion.

I really thought, you´re kiddin me.... ;)
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

cjkbug

Quote from: small fish on May 11, 2011, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: cjkbug on May 09, 2011, 01:01:16 PM
Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 06, 2011, 06:55:39 PM
Quote from: small fish on May 06, 2011, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 06, 2011, 06:14:47 PM
Ive got a couple of builds with Warmoth necks. They're great quality. The compound radius takes a while to get used to. I had maple fretboards on both of them and sanding between frets is a nightmare, also removing the lacquer from the frets can be a PITA. I got stainless steel frets for both of them and there is no sign of wear at all (on vintage/thin frets). I did a lot of work on my buddies strat a few days ago and he had a mighty mite neck which was surprisingly level (more so than both of my Warmoth necks), he said he bought it for $90! I have to get me one of those.   

Laquer on the frets???

You mean, they install the frets first...and then spray some paint on the neck???????
That´s quite shitty for the money they take, isn´t it?
I hope, I got it right  ;)

I didn't order it finished. I am pretty sure if they finish it for you there wont be an issue just because they can finish it before they install the frets.

I'm afraid they do come with the frets laquered. that is just how it's done. you have to spray them after fretting or you'll fill the fret slots with laquer. and you'l crack the finish when you press the frets in.

Ok, you´d crack the finish....but, to be honest: they charge about 270 bucks for a laquered, simple vintage strat neck (maple / rswd), add some shipping charges and you´re way up to 300. I´d really expect, to get a straight, playable neck. And not some kind of:"...well, almost done, but you´ll have to clean the laquer from the frets (we´d do it...for some extra fees...). They got some nice bodies an necks, but after that, I´d never buy a neck at Warmoth...seriously!

Don´t take me for granted, but at a certain amount of money (at Warmoth or any other seller), i´d really expect, to get some "clean" stuff, instead of "kind-of-playable".
Sorry, my opinion.

I really thought, you´re kiddin me.... ;)

"almost done" is quite right. warmoth states that all necks require finall fret leveling and polishing as, which is where the laquer would come off, quite easily I might add.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

slimtriggers

Quote from: redbean on May 11, 2011, 07:02:07 PM

Ha!  ;D

I'd like to build a Warmoth SG style guitar. How does the Brazilian iron wood fretboard feel? I prefer ebony, but I'd consider using the pau ferro if it is dense and tightly grained like ebony.

I think the Pau is more like rosewood than ebony.  I prefer the feel of ebony, too.

Whether or not it's worth the $$ is up the the individual.  I like mine

gtr2

Here are my other babies...
Takamine acoustic, Partscaster tele relic, 08 Gib LP Standard, Schecter c-1, Schecter Hollywood Classic, Fender Toronado, Fender Jazz Bass, Danelectro U2

This is "his" he says.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

2 thumbs up for the RE-201 Josh!!! That is something I've wanted for a long time now!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on May 19, 2011, 12:56:42 AM
2 thumbs up for the RE-201 Josh!!! That is something I've wanted for a long time now!

Finding one that is actually working properly is a chore.  I got lucky with mine.  I still like my ep-4 a little better for tape echo's though.  I use both sparingly.  The drive motor for the re-201 is no longer made and there is no substitute available except a donor motor from another unit.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Woah didn't realize they stopped making the motor! That is gonna be hell to fix now as if aligning the tape heads isn't hell already! You got the best of both worlds w/ both units. When I was working in this studio before, one of the guys had some crazy rare echoplex. I've never seen anything like it and I'm not seeing much info with a quick search but I did find a picture! http://www.jyuenger.com/?p=82

EDIT: I take that back. It's called an EM-1 and its a multi-channel echo unit from the 70's. This thing is cool!
http://www.regiscoyne.com/echoplex/
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/HiwattBob/DSCF1857.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3863222653_89cb40d5c9.jpg

gtr2

Ahh, one of those came up on Craigslist a while ago but I wasn't in a financial situation to purchase it.  Both my tape echos are from CL, they pop up once in a while.  I refuse to buy anything site unseen from eBay.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on May 19, 2011, 03:06:50 PM
Ahh, one of those came up on Craigslist a while ago but I wasn't in a financial situation to purchase it.  Both my tape echos are from CL, they pop up once in a while.  I refuse to buy anything site unseen from eBay.

Josh

Your a smart man for that choice. How much did you see one going for? You live in the right place if you keep seeing all these on CL  ;D

gtr2

If I remember correct, it's been a while, around $500?  I also just saw an re-301 go up on CL .  It quickly vanished but It was priced to high for my taste ($750).  I live in kind of a central area where Philadelphia and New York are not out of driving range.  There are a lot of small studios that have been selling all their stuff.  I scour numerous cities with an app on my iphone.  The best deals are the ones no one else saw first  ;)  Most of my non DIY gear is from CL.  I've made out really well because I'm persistent at checking but patient for the right deal.  Most times the seller is willing to take a loss just to move the equipment in today's economy.  Some people facebook, I craigslist...  I don't purchase a lot but when I do it's a good deal.  I'm also extra careful when dealing. There are some shady people out there.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

That is the exact same way I've acquired so much Sunn equipment. That Iphone App must make it much easier though! I'm gonna start looking for some old test equipment. I've met my fair amount of shady CL users and I'm actually still trying to get an old Sunn head working that I bought. I'll never give someone cash without verifing it turns on and works to some of its potential.

jball85

Eric Johnson Strat and an Epiphone Les Paul with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a 59' in the neck (50's wiring harness pio caps). I also have a Jackson Js-1, my first guitar, though it stays locked up in the dungeon. Its kind of like a mitsubishi eclipse, it looks cool, but always breaks down.