News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stark Industries Phaser - Lovetone Doppelganger content

Started by eldanko, September 18, 2014, 10:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

This one's been sitting on the bench quite a while, and I finally got around to boxing it up a couple months ago. Just now getting around to photographing it and writing a report. This was built on one of the 1.4 Low Profile Doppelganger boards from alanp.

I boxed it into a 1590BB Tall so that I could use top mounted jacks, and used shielded wiring throughout after reading about ticking problems with others. Despite my best efforts, I ended up with ticking in this build. I tried swapping opamps, messing with lead dress, etc. and it was persistent on all but the highest speed settings while in Dual LFO mode. Single LFO mode is fine and actually sounds fantastic. Despite the ticking issue, this thing has kicked my Stage Fright off the board for the time being. It's such a great sound - deep, wobbly, vibey... so good. I did use a 2kb pot on one of the Span controls - the low, I think - for deeper response.

TL;DR version: If you're a fan of phasers, you need a Doppelganger in your arsenal. This thing is a blast.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

chuckbuick

Leevibe

lars

That thing looks great! This is an interesting build to consider; I'm looking for another phaser option. As far as the ticking, I did notice your input jack is directly above and close to your LFO op-amp (IC1). In another build that had no ticking, they happened to mount the jacks in a completely different location, far away from the LFO (everything else was the same as yours). Maybe try removing the jack from that spot and temporarily support it away from the pcb. Probably just a dumb idea, but worth a try.

alanp

8) "It looks like Christmas... but with more me."

The only phaser I've played that beats the Doppelganger is the Prophecysound Infinitphase, and that is both a fuckton of work, and doesn't have Dual LFO mode.

Your builds always look so pretty :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

That is a very cool build. I've also had the idea of using iron man on the cover and let his "battery" light up when engaged. So, are the LEDs in his hands the LFO indicators? everything in light blue?
Too bad you got some ticking in there, I hope you'll figure it out eventually.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Cortexturizer

fantastic work! I am sorry to heat about the ticking problem, that sorta stuff would really make me go insane after doing such an involved build.
phasers are everything in my book. love em. gotsta have me dat swoosh any day or night
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

eldanko

Quote from: lars on September 19, 2014, 06:32:15 AM
That thing looks great! This is an interesting build to consider; I'm looking for another phaser option. As far as the ticking, I did notice your input jack is directly above and close to your LFO op-amp (IC1). In another build that had no ticking, they happened to mount the jacks in a completely different location, far away from the LFO (everything else was the same as yours). Maybe try removing the jack from that spot and temporarily support it away from the pcb. Probably just a dumb idea, but worth a try.

Yes! You should definitely consider it. It's fantastic. I did mess with the proximity a bit regarding the jack and it didn't really improve anything. Wonder if I could insert some sort of shield in between...

Quote from: m-Kresol on September 19, 2014, 08:25:50 AM
That is a very cool build. I've also had the idea of using iron man on the cover and let his "battery" light up when engaged. So, are the LEDs in his hands the LFO indicators? everything in light blue?
Too bad you got some ticking in there, I hope you'll figure it out eventually.

Yep! LEDs synced to LFO, light blue of course :) Looks badass lit up. I'll try to post a video sooner or later.

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

flanagan0718

Ok you convinced me. Now i need to order another pcb. ;D

rullywowr

Beautiful work!  The graphics and LED placement are superb.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

bcalla

LaceSensor

Great build.

If there is significant demand I might so another run of non-ticking dopps

PackardGoose

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 19, 2014, 07:03:32 PM
Great build.

If there is significant demand I might so another run of non-ticking dopps
I  would definitely be interested in a couple of these boards if this were to happen. I'm in the process of building my first Meat Sphere and really want to build a Doppelganger and Ringstinger but don't have the ability to etch my own PCBs.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk