News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Digitech Drop

Started by madbean, September 18, 2014, 01:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I broke down and ordered this from Sweetwater. Expectations are high. I'll report back once I get it.

Side note - I wonder if you could use a loop to mix the detuned signal with your original for a pitch shifter.

madbean

culturejam

I, too, was tempted by the low-pitched siren song of the Drop.

Can't wait to hear your impression.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

I too am interested. The C# seemed to track very well and would love to doom it out at a drop of a hat.

Cody

Muadzin

Is it any different from the Whammy DT or they just took its droptune section and made it into a separate pedal?

angrykoko

Oh man, that's sweet.
Yeah, let us know your thoughts when you get it.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

flanagan0718

It does seem to track really well, which is kind of surprising for digitech. ;)

muddyfox

I'm not much of a pedalsniffer but to my ear digitech has gotten it's shit together somewhat, namely with the hardwire series.

I'm also quite fond of the Bad Monkey. *ducks*

flanagan0718

Quote from: muddyfox on September 18, 2014, 01:09:32 PM
I'm not much of a pedalsniffer but to my ear digitech has gotten it's shit together somewhat, namely with the hardwire series.

I'm also quite fond of the Bad Monkey. *ducks*

Agreed. The supernatural was cool

Cortexturizer

This is a cool pedal definitely. If they come out with the version that does notes above the note you're playing then that's gonna drill a hole in my pocket immediately.
I've had the Whammy 5 for some time to play with and it tracked fantastic, and was built like never I've experienced with Digitech before. This looks to be just as good.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

lincolnic

This is going to sound snarky, but I promise it's an honest question: is there a difference between this pedal and a Whammy tuned down? Aside from the fact that you'd have the whole sweep of the foot control on the Whammy, of course.

Shrtyska9

Its the drop tune section from the whammy dt in a separate box.

I'm with selfdestroyer on the doom on demand.

Richard

Richard

madbean

Got this today. Here is my quick review.

Tracking: Excellent. No complaints here. There is a very small lag between effect and picked notes but that is to be expected. Not enough to be bothersome. Very akin to the lag you might hear through a headphone mix when recording in a studio when your rig is isolated.
Bypass: Seems fine. No big difference in bypass signal when plugged in. The switch is relay based - I can hear it click over when the switch is toggled.
Pitch Shifting: Seems very accurate. No real complaints here.
Polyphonics: Really good, but not "perfect". Chords are definitely polyphonic in all settings. But, there is a subtle difference in how it sounds compared to an actual detuned guitar. I think it has to do with how the strings interact and the "beats" you get on certain intervals with a physically detuned guitar. This is not really something you can replicate digitally, I think. Also, at bedroom levels you hear your true pitch from the strings vs. the shifted output so that can have some effect on this perception. Not an issue if the amp or your ears are isolated. Overall, very serviceable for a shifter.

Last thoughts: I really wish they had a dry mix knob on this. It would be so useful. I think you could probably hack it in the actual pedal since there is a setting for dry+octave down. But, running it in a loop with a dry volume control would probably accomplish the same thing (assuming the output and input are in phase).

Pretty happy with the purchase vs. price paid. The enclosure is very heavy duty -  a bit wider than the 1590B but almost a half inch lower in height. Really cool. I would love to have some enclosures like this.

drolo

I had owned the Whammy DT (same detune engine I think) for a while and can confirm your impressions. Very acurate and clean.
The lack of the dry blend was really a bummer though (and the SIZE ...)
I ended up selling it and buying an EHX Ring Thing instead. I never looked back :-)
It can save 8 presets, has a dry blend, it can do the whammy thing with an expression pedal, detune, ring mod, tremolo, Vibe, chorus etc... It's puzzling how this pedal never became very popular ...

Justus

So when can we expect a layout? Lol