News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rohs compliance

Started by teknoman2, September 17, 2014, 10:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknoman2

I just saw a thread on FBS regarding ROHS compliance.
I believe it is an issue which I'd never think about it.
For start the builder must change to leed free soldering and must find a rohs compliant pcb manufacture or make ENIG finish PCB's, correct?
Also from my point of view this is a limitation to someone who want to use  panasonic MNxxxx BBD chips or germanium transistors.
On BBD chips there is the option of using Rohs comliant cool audio chips but what about germanium transistors?
What do you think about it, are any other options?

Soup39

I'd think for your own health reasons you'd want to be using lead free solder, regardless if it was compliant or not.

wgc

Haven't seen the article, will check it out.  My own personal opinion, but I tend to think the things they use in place of lead are more toxic, less energy efficient, etc. If you're in Europe, I don't think you can even buy the 60/40 solder anymore.  Great intentions but I'm thinking the cure is in some cases worse than the disease.

Having worked in production houses in the past, we had periodic testing done.  There was almost no difference between people's normal levels and even the guys with arguably the most exposure at wave solder operations.

Unless you're handling solder and eating without washing your hands, or routinely soldering 60/40 at temperatures above 800F, as a hobby builder I think your risk is pretty low. 
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

rullywowr

Also I'd mention that lead-free solder is a pain in the ass. 

If you are producing a product for worldwide distribution, then it is keen to ensure you are ROHS compliant.  If you are just doing it for a hobby, then the leaded stuff is worlds easier to work with.  Easier to solder, less heat required, better connections, less expensive PCBs manufacture using hot air leveling.  Lately, I'm a huge fan of the Kester 63/37 with #245 "no clean flux" in diameter of about 0.8mm.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

teknoman2

Totally agree about lead-free solder, it requires more experience and technique for the best result.
As far rohs compliance I believe that if the builder wants to sell worldwide (if thats possible) have to be compliant to those regulations, but these regulations make his work more difficult and more expensive.
Starting from finding rohs components, most of them are but germanium transistors, diodes bbd chips aren't, also Lead Free- ENIG finish pcb's.
I ve send a couple of mails to some European components-sellers asking if their germanium transistors  for example are rohs compliant.
Everyone answer "yes, of course", so probably there is a open window even for nos components.

Rockhorst

Quote from: wgc on September 17, 2014, 03:53:28 PM
If you're in Europe, I don't think you can even buy the 60/40 solder anymore.
You'd be thinking wrong: still easily available, at least at the hobby level. I just received a 100 gram roll of Stannol.

pickdropper

If you are planning on mass producing a pedal and selling it in Europe (or in California in the US) you will most likely need them to be RoHS compliant. 

If you are building a one-off pedal, the letter of the law probably says it should be, but it's unlikely to really matter.

If you are building for yourself, don't worry about it.

As far as components go, there are some parts that are not RoHS compliant by content, but are compliant by excemption.  LDRs used to be that way, but I am not sure if they still are.  I took a quick look at Germanium transistors but didn't see anything that indicated they are excempt. 

In all likelihood, the governing bodies are probably not going to worry too much about limited supply parts that aren't being made anymore.  They are likely much more concerned with what parts are going into motherboards for computers and cell phones (as they end up in landfills rather quickly) or home appliances, which would have a larger ecological impact if non-compliant.

You want to get really funky, read up on the REACH laws that are going through Europe and RoHS 2.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on September 17, 2014, 07:17:34 PM
If you are planning on mass producing a pedal and selling it in Europe (or in California in the US) you will most likely need them to be RoHS compliant. 

I don't really think germanium devices are ROHS compliant and I've seen them in mass produced pedals all over the world...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

pickdropper

Quote from: micromegas on September 17, 2014, 07:22:58 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 17, 2014, 07:17:34 PM

I don't really think germanium devices are ROHS compliant and I've seen them in mass produced pedals all over the world...

They aren't compliant, they are just not being called out.  That is what I was referring to with the statement:

"In all likelihood, the governing bodies are probably not going to worry too much about limited supply parts that aren't being made anymore."

It is possible they are compliant by exemption (although I couldn't find one), but I suspect they just aren't on anybody's radar right now.  It's possible somebody will decide they are evil and stop it, but I'd be a bit surprised.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Apparently, LDRs did have an excemption, but it expired in December of 2013. 

http://www.rsjtechnical.com/WhatareRoHSexemptions.htm

It's last on the list.
Function f(x)

teknoman2

My future plan is to built some effects and try to sell them on ebay.
So if by chance my builts stopped on custom service won't have any issues.
I know that is a very small chance to happen but I want to be fully prepared for this.
Also I know that building a small batch of effects and sell them on ebay don't have be rohs compliant but if I can do it without spending a fortune why shouldn't do it.

pickdropper

Quote from: teknoman2 on September 17, 2014, 07:31:00 PM
My future plan is to built some effects and try to sell them on ebay.
So if by chance my builts stopped on custom service won't have any issues.
I know that is a very small chance to happen but I want to be fully prepared for this.
Also I know that building a small batch of effects and sell them on ebay don't have be rohs compliant but if I can do it without spending a fortune why shouldn't do it.

That's a reasonable approach.  If you can make them RoHS compliant then you won't have to worry about changing them, even if the odds of getting stopped are low.

It shouldn't cost a fortune.  Most modern suppliers stock RoHS parts.  The solder is a bit more expensive, but a roll will last a long time so it won't add much to each build.
Function f(x)

teknoman2

I agree probably it won't cost a fortune but it changes some rules of the game.
Despite that as I said I believe those regulations makes our hobby a little bit trickier