News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Decal Drying Time

Started by FloorIt, September 14, 2014, 05:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloorIt

I just got my decal applied yesterday to a powder coated 125B enclosure.  The decal covers the entire top of the enclosure.  I did put a light film of water on the enclosure before I laid the decal down.  How long should I let it dry before clear coating?

Also, should I wait until clearcoat has been applied and dried before cutting the decal away from the pre-drilled holes?  Any tips on that process would be appreciated.

stevie1556

I would leave it an absolute minimum of 12 hours to fully dry. Also, before you spray the clear on, wipe off any water marks, I didn't once and had brown stains under the clear (was powder coating clear though).

Are you using normal spray lacquer or powder coat clear? If using the powder one, don't cut around the decal holes, just spray the box with a good amount of powder, and while it's curing in the oven the bit of decal over the holes melts so you don't need to do anything. Also, you won't be able to see the edge of the decal so you can even split it up into pieces. If you're using normal spray lacquer, I can't give any advice on it as I've never done it.

jimilee

12 is definitely minimum, i give mine 24. Everytime I get in a hurry, the decal tends to float up in the enviro.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

Quote from: jimilee on September 14, 2014, 07:08:16 PM
12 is definitely minimum, i give mine 24. Everytime I get in a hurry, the decal tends to float up in the enviro.

That's weird jimi, I never dried mine longer than 30 minutes and I never had problems with floating decals and envirotex. I never add any water to the enclosure though. If any, just a few drops. I generally just heat the enclosure, slide the decal off the support paper at one side for a little bit. Then I position that part, hold it and pull the rest of the support from under the decal. To be fair, that doesn't work with bigger decals like 1590XX.

As for the decal + spray laquer I'm afraid I have no advice since I've never tried it
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

FloorIt

Ok, I'm at 48 hours so it sounds like I'm good.  I'm using Rustoleum enamel for my clear.  Should I open up my holes before applying it?

jimilee

Nope, the clear will stiffen it up and make it easier to cut. Use an xacto knife of some sort.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

I have to update this. I drilled an envirotexed enclosure yesterday with a normal drill bit and it lifted the decal and enviro of the enclosure around the hole. So I scratched everything of (ruined the yellow powdercoat) and reapplied the decal today. This time I'll put a film of water over the whole enclosure and it worked way better for the big decal size. Now, I'll let it dry till monday since I'm not around anyways. Thanks jimi

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

alanp

Not really related, but does Thomas_H's toner transfer method (ie, to the enclosure, not the PCB) have less issues?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

Actually, I don't know. But I could imagine their might be some problems with spray on laquer depending on the solvent used in the spray can. it could dissolve and smear the graphics. Anyone ever tried toner transfer of coloured toner?!?