News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help with Buzzaround

Started by kinski, May 02, 2011, 06:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

So, I've built this guy. Sounds great. However, I've run into a problem that I've never had before with other pedal builds.

I can't seem to get the DC Jack or LED to work. I've only been able to power it with a battery.  When I add the DC, the I get no power, AND the battery gets really hot. And, no luck with the LED at all.

Any thoughts? I've build a good 10-15 pedals so far, and never had this problem. Thanks!

jkokura

If your battery gets hot it's a clear indication your power is connecting to ground. That needs to be fixed. I don't know about te LED except that it's either burnt out or improperly connected.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

kinski

Hi, sorry for the delay. I was never notified that there was a response to my question.

Thanks for helping. Okay, so...a little help then. What lug should the 9v wire coming off the board go to on the DC jack...and which lug on the DC should be connected to which wire off the battery connector?

Thanks so much for this help. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Never had this before. But, I do notice that this PCB says -9v. While most of the others say +9v. I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Thanks again!

kinski

Okay, let me re-ask that.

How do I add a DC Power Jack and an LED to the current MadBean Buzzaround Bumblebee wiring layout?

Thanks so much for your help.

k.rock!

http://madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf

You can find this at the Projects page at the top right for future reference ;)

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

kinski

Right, i've done this many times over. I've used this wiring on a ton of pedals. I just can't get it to work on this one. No idea why. I just did it again, nothing. If i use the standard bumblebee layout, it works fine and sounds beautiful But when I add the DC, nothing happens, and the battery gets hot. And i've had no luck with an LED either. I have no clue.
>:(

kinski

The only thing I can think of is that...with the Bumblebee PCB, the 9v is marked -. Most other layouts seems to have a + 9v.

Would this change how I wire it up?

cjkbug

is it possible that you have the polarity reversed? if I remember correctly the buzzaround is a positive ground effect. that could explain your problem. I used a road rage board to power mine with no issues.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

kinski

Caps are in the correct direction, as are the transistors.

It seems Madbean talks about this issue in another circuit. You can make this one positive or negative. One can use and DC and the other cant, so it seems. Perhaps its the same with the Bumblebee?

Check it out, just scroll down a bit:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Zygote/docs/Zygote.pdf

bigmufffuzzwizz

Recently somewhere along the line I decided that I've built enough pedals to KNOW how they are wired. Well yes and no. That showed me that it really does matter what way you orient the DC power jack. If you oriente it different you gotta wire it accordingly. For instance the 2 power lugs are right next to each other and it really matters which one you connect battery to and power too. I've had a couple builds not work right away, DMM tells me no power, switch them and what do you know. You may be dealing with something else since you want 9V- into your pedal.
Not that this is your problem, but more something to watch for.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

slimtriggers

Wire it like the "PNP positve ground with LED" diagram in the Zygote document if the circuit is asking for -9v.  If you use a dc jack wired for positive ground, you won't be able to daisy chain it with any other  "regular" negative ground pedals.  You'll need to add the Road Rage to run it from a power supply you share with other pedals.

kinski

Hey thanks...yeah, thats how i currently have it wired.

So, what you are saying is...if I want to add a DC Jack...i have to add a roadrage supply? I power all of my effect with either batteries or a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power.

slimtriggers

I'm not sure about the VL power supply, but with my One Spot you can do either/or, not both.  You definitely won't be able to daisy chain negative and positive ground pedals.  You may damage other pedals if you try.  The Road Rage would solve that problem.

Scroll down this Analogman page to "power supply problems" for a better explanation.

http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

kinski

Cool. Okay, idiotic question here...how do I add a DC Jack to this then? I will just use a battery or Voo Labs.

slimtriggers

I've never done it, but I'm guessing you would just reverse the way it's wired compared to normal.  Switch the positive with the negative.  I'm not sure, though, so maybe someone else will chime in on it.

This link doesn't describe positive ground, but it might help you sort out how to wire it in reverse:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalPower/