News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small Clone/Hydra/SuperJudge/Brazen Bull

Started by juansolo, September 11, 2014, 08:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Small Clone clone
My other favourite chorus, this is an EHX Small Clone clone, this time on a Stomptown Penny Royal Chorus PCB.

Same decal as ever, just rejigged a bit for this slightly bigger enclosure.

SuperJudge
Even easier to build yourself our Superjudge now, Rullywow Industries has done a PCB for it. Hopefully this means we'll see more Judges out in the world.

So very wee considering how big and tight it sounds. Marshall? Oh yes indeed, and then some sir.

Hydra
An IDA board for the testing and it's another cracker. This is a modded ZenDrive and GOAT in one. I liked Cleggy's so much I had to have one.

Brazen Bull
Jason's (Jubal81) Brazen Bull multi distortion sent to us for evaluation, so I had to box it up.

A really rather unique and excellent creation this one. It's a switchable distortion with a boost, JFET OD, 4049 distortion and muff all running into a James tonestack.

What I really like about it is that you can set the controls then just switch in what flavour of dirt you want on there. Not to mention that the 4049 and muff are two of the nicest and quietest ones I've heard.

Multilayer PCBs! Freaky and very cool. For those that like top mounted jacks, plenty of space. Jason did the boards on this one, I just dropped it in a box.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

Brilliant stuff! Especially now that you've fully implemented invisible wire technology ...  ;)
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

playpunk

Perfect as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Very very clean.. all of em. I really like the Hydra. Love the artwork and the layout looks so cool.

Cody

cooder

Fabulantastico mucho as always.... and I mean the always in the best possible amazing way (cos' you mentioned in another post that some people might find your work and style would get boring. NOPE. I don't think so!)
Also would be keen to build one of the Brazen Bulls as well, what a cool concept and project (mine won't look as perfect though...). 8)
BigNoise Amplification

muddyfox

That's it, now I really need to try this board stacking sorcery!  ;D

Great builds, J.!

micromegas

This batch is a perfect representation of the qualified designers and builders this forum hosts.

I have to try your Superjudge Juan, I hope Rully will add it to his current line. Saw the new Dredd film this weekend and  enjoyed it by the way
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

blearyeyes

juansolo

Quote from: micromegas on September 11, 2014, 09:39:03 PM
I have to try your Superjudge Juan, I hope Rully will add it to his current line. Saw the new Dredd film this weekend and  enjoyed it by the way

Good man, really hoping they get the trilogy they're after on those. Unlikely it seems, but it'd be cool to see more.

I suspect Rully has some Judges, fire him a PM.

diablochris6

On par with the course, these are excellent builds! Is the artwork on the Brazen Bull Mike Mignola? It looks similar; love his stuff. What font is that?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

alanp

The Bull's gutshot looks creepy, kinda ;)

I'm guessing you used a 125B for the Small Clone, you're smarter than me!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

OK John, I know I'm very far removed from the sharpest tool in the shed  ::) but I just realized....

In all your overlapping builds (well, all that I can remember right now) your boards are upside down. Do you wrangle the pots' pins and support the board that way or do you wire the pots offboard and use doublesided tape and such?

Also, what about the classic pain in the bottom, the electros? Low profile or laid down?

juansolo

Quote from: diablochris6 on September 12, 2014, 01:11:43 AM
On par with the course, these are excellent builds! Is the artwork on the Brazen Bull Mike Mignola? It looks similar; love his stuff. What font is that?

It's some Hellboy art. I was really struggling for something to fit on that one, so went with the chaos of that one ;)

Font is Feast of Flesh BB.  Which has become my default font for just about all builds now. http://www.1001fonts.com/feast-of-flesh-bb-font.html

Quote from: alanp on September 12, 2014, 05:39:27 AM
I'm guessing you used a 125B for the Small Clone, you're smarter than me!

It is indeed.

Quote from: muddyfox on September 12, 2014, 05:45:42 AM

OK John, I know I'm very far removed from the sharpest tool in the shed  ::) but I just realized....

In all your overlapping builds (well, all that I can remember right now) your boards are upside down. Do you wrangle the pots' pins and support the board that way or do you wire the pots offboard and use doublesided tape and such?

Also, what about the classic pain in the bottom, the electros? Low profile or laid down?

This is Jason's creation. The second board is on risers and unplugs. The bottom board has those 9mm board mounted pots on it. Electros are either laid down or low pro.

I have a lot more space when I do it in multis and usually do it using the pot mounts. I use solid core and if I need it particularly high I might throw in some bus wire and/or some foam pad spacing.

micromegas

Quote from: juansolo on September 11, 2014, 10:48:34 PM
I suspect Rully has some Judges, fire him a PM.

I know, I know... but I have a limit of boards I can buy per month (student's life) and Madbean's sale left me a little broke.

I'll add it to the next batch for sure.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io