News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow loris diode clipping

Started by night-B, May 02, 2011, 04:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

night-B

Hi!
In a hurry I replaced the leds of the diode clipping by some bat41 diodes, thinking it's a cool idea.
Is it going to work or do I need to swap the diode for some red leds like in the bom?

jkokura

You can use any diodes you want for clipping. The famous types in a Rat have always been Red LED's or Silicon 1n914/1n4148 types. I would socket them if you can.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

night-B

Thanks! I love bat41 so I will give it a try ;)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jkokura on May 02, 2011, 04:39:04 PM
You can use any diodes you want for clipping. The famous types in a Rat have always been Red LED's or Silicon 1n914/1n4148 types. I would socket them if you can.

Jacob
I've noticed that before. Still have to try some LED's as clippers. It's supposed to make the unit more crunch like and less gain?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

stecykmi

it does tend to sound more distorted. i find you also get quite a different frequency response. I love the sound of red LED's in a rat.

for extra fun, mount an LED (or both) on the case and you can see them light up as you play.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: stecykmi on May 03, 2011, 06:32:55 PM
it does tend to sound more distorted. i find you also get quite a different frequency response. I love the sound of red LED's in a rat.

for extra fun, mount an LED (or both) on the case and you can see them light up as you play.

I'm definitely gonna try that!!  :o
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals