News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is the DOD FX 90 Delay worth getting?

Started by PhiloB, September 06, 2014, 11:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

There is one used on CL.  It has a single MN3005.  Are there any cool DIY projects that use a single MN3005 (saw the Dirtbag Dlx calls for 2).  What would you offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

culturejam

I think they are okay. Personally I like the FX96 better. It's a similar circuit but with a tone control so you can really roll off the noise. And it's very easy to mod for super-long delay times, although it does start to sound like a ring-mod if you go really long. Kinda fun. :)

If you could get it for say $50, I'd do it. Pull the 3005, replace with a much cheaper 3008 and crank the clock for wacky noisemaker tones. Then use the 3005 in something else.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

PhiloB

Thanks for the feedback!
What projects use a single MN3005

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stomptown

You might look for an aquapuss/DM2 clone (the madbean 2010 aquaboy comes to mind) on the buy sell trade forum. I found two of them on there and actually prefer that circuit at 300 ms max. It makes for a great slapback.  I'm pretty sure you could also get the current Aquaboy pcb and bypass the portion of the circuit that runs the 2nd bbd but I'm not certain what it takes to make that happen. 

Scruffie

Quote from: Stomptown on September 07, 2014, 12:10:15 AM
You might look for an aquapuss/DM2 clone (the madbean 2010 aquaboy comes to mind) on the buy sell trade forum. I found two of them on there and actually prefer that circuit at 300 ms max. It makes for a great slapback.  I'm pretty sure you could also get the current Aquaboy pcb and bypass the portion of the circuit that runs the 2nd bbd but I'm not certain what it takes to make that happen.
Not much, bit of parts omission and jumpering, could also just put an MN3008 in the spare slot for 450(ish)ms.

Or you could modify the FX90 to have similar filtering to the DM-2.

Or you could buy it and enjoy it as is, or just buy the Deluxe Aquaboy PCB and stick 2 x MN3008 in.
Works at Lectric-FX

culturejam

Quote from: Scruffie on September 07, 2014, 12:15:20 AM
or just buy the Deluxe Aquaboy PCB and stick 2 x MN3008 in.

I'm waiting on the 4x 3008 project.  :D

Side question for the expert: Can I just stick a MN3005 in my DMM XO (replacing one of the 3008s) and enjoy an extra ~150-ish ms of delay out of it? I just assume it should work. Can the clock handle it?

Scruffie

Quote from: culturejam on September 07, 2014, 12:44:05 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on September 07, 2014, 12:15:20 AM
or just buy the Deluxe Aquaboy PCB and stick 2 x MN3008 in.

I'm waiting on the 4x 3008 project.  :D

Side question for the expert: Can I just stick a MN3005 in my DMM XO (replacing one of the 3008s) and enjoy an extra ~150-ish ms of delay out of it? I just assume it should work. Can the clock handle it?
I'd hardly say expert, that... dick that knows some stuff? ???

The 4047 datasheet runs out of info to be sure (even EHX weren't sure, early deluxe memory mans had a 4049 buffer) however, you should be okay at longer delay times i'd think, at shorter ones the clock will probably get rounded off but... I would think it can do it, but it may not be perfect, will you hear that? I don't know, shouldn't hurt anything though.

I can tell you though for the EHX Echo 600 (slider pot expanded deluxe memory man) where they had removed the 4049 buffer in the DMM, it was in there for the three 3005 it used.
Works at Lectric-FX

culturejam

Quote from: Scruffie on September 07, 2014, 12:55:54 AM
I can tell you though for the EHX Echo 600 (slider pot expanded deluxe memory man) where they had removed the 4049 buffer in the DMM, it was in there for the three 3005 it used.

Good enough for me.  ;D

The DMM that I have is absolutely fantastic sounding. Epic, actually. I'm quite happy with it, but if I could squeeze a bit more time out of it, that certainly wouldn't suck. So I'll give it a go adding a 3005. Thanks

Scruffie

Quote from: culturejam on September 07, 2014, 01:22:33 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on September 07, 2014, 12:55:54 AM

Good enough for me.  ;D

The DMM that I have is absolutely fantastic sounding. Epic, actually. I'm quite happy with it, but if I could squeeze a bit more time out of it, that certainly wouldn't suck. So I'll give it a go adding a 3005. Thanks
Just to be clear, you've quoted the bit where I said the delay pedal using 3 x 3005 for 8n4 capacitance did use a buffer where as you'll be using 7nF and the DMM only had 5n6 and didn't use a buffer.
Works at Lectric-FX

culturejam

Scruffie

You're in between one being a good idea or not  :D well if we go by example of 79-84 EHX 4047 production.

A clock buffer stops the clock pulses (which we want to be square) from rounding off, which if it does enough you'll either get shitty-er sounding delay or no delay at all.

Clock pin capacitance inside the BBD chip is what causes the clock pulses to round off.
Works at Lectric-FX