News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need your Amp thoughts (Decisions Decisions)

Started by raulduke, September 03, 2014, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Quote from: juansolo on September 03, 2014, 06:46:12 PM
Talk to Martin at MJW...

How much was the princeton head if you don't mind me asking?

Tremster

GermanCdn

Quote from: muddyfox on September 03, 2014, 05:53:02 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on September 03, 2014, 04:43:29 PM
If you want to delve out of the Fender range a bit, I'd go for a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic.  The Fender channel is good, the Vox channel is great.

Would you say this goes for both TA-15 and TA-30?

I've only got the TA-15, so I can't comment on the TA-30.  I don't really think you need anymore headroom in the amp which you get from the TA-30.  I would like an effects loop though, but I can live without it.

I wish MB would make a three channel version of the amp.  I'd like there to be a Vox channel, a Fender channel (with at least two settings) and a high gain channel.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Tremster

Quote from: GermanCdn on September 03, 2014, 07:43:45 PM
I wish MB would make a three channel version of the amp.  I'd like there to be a Vox channel, a Fender channel (with at least two settings) and a high gain channel.

Haha: http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Tweaker/TweakerHead/TweakerHead.html

GermanCdn

Quote from: Tremster on September 03, 2014, 07:46:48 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on September 03, 2014, 07:43:45 PM

Haha: http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Tweaker/TweakerHead/TweakerHead.html

I have a Tweaker as well, the TransAtlantic is much better amplifier.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

A buddy of mine has the TA-15.  He has used it to simulate Vox amps on recordings and it's done a great job.  I don't think the Fender settings are quite as close as the Vox, but it's a nice amp in that mode.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

Quote from: pickdropper on September 03, 2014, 07:49:59 PM
A buddy of mine has the TA-15.  He has used it to simulate Vox amps on recordings and it's done a great job.  I don't think the Fender settings are quite as close as the Vox, but it's a nice amp in that mode.

This is kind of why I want a three channel version.  The Fender side is shared with the Marshall/Boogie side, and those two both sound way better in high gain settings, and the Fender mode suffers.  I also love the fact that you can set the power outputs differently for each channel (5/15/25W).

pickdropper

Yeah, I could see that.

I've thought about grabbing one of those.  It's a nice versatile amp.  My only hesitation is that I really only need it for the Vox settings as I have other amps that cover the rest of it.  The size is hard to beat, though.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

It sounds really close to the normal channel on my AC15 head (you can run it in AC15 or AC30 mode) and you can pull out the Cut knob to act as a Master Volume which is kind of nice.  Now if they'd put an EF86 channel in..... (I know, I already own too many amps, why am I dreaming up more options).

The Boogie Channel sounds better than my DC5, though that's in large part due to the fact that I can control the volume on the TA.  I'm sure the DC5 sounds better cranked (especially with the 5 band), but I just can't be in the same room as the DC5 with the Master past 4.

Ironically, I don't own a Marshall, but the Marshall mode sounds very similar to my buddy's 800.

If you can pick one up used, it's a good deal (not that they're overpriced new, but if you've already got 3/4 of the tones covered, dropping a grand on a TA or similar money on a Vox for Vox tones would indicate buying a Vox).  Size wise they are perfect.

teknoman2

You are not the only one who likes the supersonic,
If I had to buy a new us voiced amp I will definetly buy the supersonic for two reasons.
First its a great amp on its own and second it goes well with every, I mean every pedal I tried.
I 've try many regular-non boutique amps, thanx to my buddy at big guitar shop here, and I
decide that for my taste and for my pedals there two amps only.
The British voiced koch studiotone  and the Us voiced supersonic.
If you can try some koch amps you will not regret it.

micromegas

Quote from: teknoman2 on September 03, 2014, 09:15:07 PM
If I had to buy a new us voiced amp I will definetly buy the supersonic for two reasons.
First its a great amp on its own and second it goes well with every, I mean every pedal I tried.
I 've try many regular-non boutique amps, thanx to my buddy at big guitar shop here, and I
Koch amps are good, and they take pedals very well (I'm talking about the Studiotone family), but all my friends that have bought one of those searching for a basic clean sound with a fender signature on mind, have been disappointed (and I'm not talking about an isolated case: Alberto Barrero, a great guitarist from Spain, recently sold his because of this, a friend of mine recently sold his Studiotone and bought a MB Lonestar for the same reason, and another friend prefers his MB Mark III over his Studiotone XL for gigging despite it's weight because it did not "fill the room").
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

teknoman2

Quote from: micromegas on September 03, 2014, 09:30:37 PM
Quote from: teknoman2 on September 03, 2014, 09:15:07 PM
Koch amps are good, and they take pedals very well (I'm talking about the Studiotone family), but all my friends that have bought one of those searching for a basic clean sound with a fender signature on mind, have been disappointed (and I'm not talking about an isolated case: Alberto Barrero, a great guitarist from Spain, recently sold his because of this, a friend of mine recently sold his Studiotone and bought a MB Lonestar for the same reason, and another friend prefers his MB Mark III over his Studiotone XL for gigging despite it's weight because it did not "fill the room").
I know Alberto, he is a very talented player and he makes very good ytube review pedal videos.
As I said studiotone is a british voiced amp and I must agree clean channel is not their best kind trebly for my taste
but it has great features on the back panel and the pedal compatibility is one of the reason I bought it.
I use play mine though a 2 by 12 cabinet with v30 and the sound is killer, never had issues filling the room,speaking always for my taste.

micromegas

Quote from: teknoman2 on September 03, 2014, 09:46:17 PM
I know Alberto, he is a very talented player and he makes very good ytube review pedal videos.

If you like how he plays, you should check the video he just posted playing with Eduardo Escobar. Both are awesome players!!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but here's the video for your enjoyement.
Alberto is using a Deluxe Reverb btw . And, based on the title, a Robin Trower od.

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

lars

That fender princeton reverb combo in blonde looks like a winner to me. If you've already tried it, and like the tone, it looks like it fits all of your criteria.

juansolo

Quote from: raulduke on September 03, 2014, 07:14:10 PM
Quote from: juansolo on September 03, 2014, 06:46:12 PM
Talk to Martin at MJW...

How much was the princeton head if you don't mind me asking?

Twas a bit complex how I paid for that one, I think it all worked out at around £900.

Oh and get it built with a pair of these if you take this route:

Best 6V6s ever!

You could always get him to build you a Tone King clone instead...

Quote from: lars on September 04, 2014, 05:31:44 AM
That fender princeton reverb combo in blonde looks like a winner to me. If you've already tried it, and like the tone, it looks like it fits all of your criteria.

Don't see why he couldn't do it as a 2x10 combo also, which will definitely help it when cranked over the 1x10 as that can get a little ragged. I can recommend the Eminence 1028K Legends with it when used as a pair (or more). The Ragin Cajun works well too. Another bonus of the combo is you could get a full sized 2 spring tank in it. Couldn't do it with the head as it would have been too close to the transformers, hence it's a 3 spring short.

Would definitely go for the Brimars in the combo though. The JJ 6V6s have a tendency to rattle, the Brimars don't.

Happy to cart the amp over to Cleggys (you've got a chance of turning it up there) if you fancy a trip up north to have a play. Indeed could bring a whole host of stuff over to play with. I have many toys ;) (just not a lot of amps, got the stereo set up though, but that's really low output).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk