News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need your Amp thoughts (Decisions Decisions)

Started by raulduke, September 03, 2014, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

A bit of a dilemma (well a good one anyway).

I've decided that I would like a combo amp with a nice Fender clean tone (nothing El 84 based either). Not too loud (around 20 watts max).

Giggable would be good (although this is getting rarer and rarer as the years go by) but I would mostly be playing at home.

It obviously has to work nicely with pedals  ;)

I was stuck on a Fender Supersonic 22 for a while (in blonde); it covers all of my needs, and is the most 'sensible' choice (ie. relatively affordable, can be gigged, fx loop, second channel etc.). I've also tried one and I personally really liked it.

I also tried a princeton reverb reissue which was also lovely; the clean tone was absolutely fantastic (better than the supersonic IMO + also nice reverb and tremolo). They have also just released the Fudge brownie FSR version which looks fantastic IMO.

I then started looking into the boutique stuff, and the Swart and Tone King stuff really took my eye. Tone King Imperials are expensive, but I could stretch to one if needs be (I know Jon LOVES his), but the cost does kind of frighten me off. I would also have to travel a long way to try any of their stuff. The Swart is more Tweedy sounding by all accounts, and the look is what does it for me more than anything else (superficial I know  ;D).

I've gone back to thinking the Supersonic 22 is the best and most sensible choice, but what do you guys think... Go with the sensible option that I know will cover a lot of bases, or plump for something a bit more esoteric that will do only one thing, but does it bloody well?

micromegas

I often have that same dillema, but the lack of money is the best solution I've found!

I'm after the same sound you're talking about and have the same needs (I have and old Mesa Boogie MKIII that sounds really fendery, clean and nice but is loud as hell and weights a tone).

I love Princetones too, Supros, Magnatones and old clean Gibson amps (like the one the Swart is based on) they all sound awesome, but if you're searching for versatility and a good relationship with pedals, you should check the Brunetti Singleman, it is affordable and sounds really nice too although it can get a little meaner if you want.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

GermanCdn

I really want a Tone King as well, but there's not local dealers in my area, and it's too much scratch to buy unheard.

IMHO, the Traynor YCV20WR is probably a good fit for your needs.  20 watts, real Fender-y channels (both clean and lead), nice a sparkly at lower gain, throaty mids at higher gain, FX loop, great reverb tank, stock with a Celestion G12.  Takes pedals really well.  It is my goto amp for just about everything, though I am not as in love with the clean channel as I once was after I got my H&K Tubemeister or my MB Transatlantic.

What's not to like about it?  Traynors have, in my experience, noisier transformers than a lot of other production amps.  There's an audible hum from the OT on all four of my Traynors (not offensive or creating problems when you're playing, it's just always "there" if you know what I mean).  Not an issue for live playing, you just notice it if you've got other amps you're AB ing against.

New they're about $700; used typically less than half of that, which makes them a ridiculous bargain (I think I picked mine up used for $280).

If you want to delve out of the Fender range a bit, I'd go for a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic.  The Fender channel is good, the Vox channel is great.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Droogie

I have the smallest Swart Space Tone (one 10-inch speaker). It's a nice amp and convenient to lug to small gigs but it's not my favorite pedal platform since the midrange characteristic is fixed to a very specific sound. Given the choice, I'd go with the Princeton.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

brucer

I've got a Princeton Reverb Reissue and I love it.  Beautiful, sparkling cleans and it takes pedals very well.  The newer models have a reinforced speaker baffle and that's essential in my view (eliminates cab vibration noise at higher volumes).  I replaced the stock output transformer with (no affiliation) Billm's "Low Profile TO20 Output Transformer (see http://billmaudio.com/wp/); that really tightened up the low end.  I also replaced the speaker cable with something heavier gauge (noticeably tighter low end and brighter high end).  Other than that it's stock.  Great amp, easy to move.

Tremster

http://www.brunetti.it/en/products-item.php?cid=123456789&pid=1252227764&ccid=1213709472
I haven't played one myself yet, so it might be a bit tacky to recommend it, but one only hears great things about it. Affordable as well. This seems to be the kind of amp you're looking for. And me too, actually.

juansolo

Custom made Princeton with 2x10 matching cab... Best amp in the world ever.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

muddyfox

Quote from: GermanCdn on September 03, 2014, 04:43:29 PM
If you want to delve out of the Fender range a bit, I'd go for a Mesa Boogie Transatlantic.  The Fender channel is good, the Vox channel is great.

Would you say this goes for both TA-15 and TA-30?

micromegas

Quote from: Tremster on September 03, 2014, 05:50:18 PM
http://www.brunetti.it/en/products-item.php?cid=123456789&pid=1252227764&ccid=1213709472
I haven't played one myself yet, so it might be a bit tacky to recommend it, but one only hears great things about it. Affordable as well. This seems to be the kind of amp you're looking for. And me too, actually.
+1

pickdropper

Have you thought about looking into a vintage Fender?  There are deals to be had if you look around a bit.

There are some great boutique sounding options out there but many of them cost as much as a vintage amp.  The newer amps are possibly a bit more reliable, but if this is for home, you may want to look at getting the real thing.  I have a couple of vintage Fenders (vibrolux and super reverb) and they are a lot of fun.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

I know you already know my opinion, but for the benefit of everyone else here:

The Tone King is the best clean Fender amp I've ever heard, and that includes pristine, well-cared for vintage examples of every single classic Fender (thanks to local studio Invisible Sound being a frigging museum) of every era. I think it's head and shoulders above a "real" blackface deluxe, for instance. I didn't buy mine on impulse, either. The first time I played through it, I basically said: Oh, this is the sound I've been trying to make. I spent some time playing around with things on my HRD to improve it and tried to get closer to that sound, played through other Fender amps including the Supersonic (right when it first came out) and DRRI, and aside from just not quite getting there on sound, they had other issues, like higher noise, duller treble, heavier cabinets, and uninspiring reverb.

It requires no modification, though I use a 12AY7 in V1 instead of a 12AX7 to make it a bit quieter. It's really quiet. The spring reverb is the best I've ever encountered.

The cabinet is also pretty extraordinary. It's not a typical cabinet for this kind of amp: It's larger and squarer, and the bass is probably as beefy as my Hot Rod Deluxe, which is a 6L6 amp. It has a speaker made custom for that amp in that cabinet.

And for good measure, it's got a second channel that can do tweed as well as a halfway convincing clean Marshall or Vox sound, but way better than the cleans on either of them.

I've gone to amp shows and played an absolute ton of amps, and to my ear, nothing else comes close.

When I decided to build an amp, it was vaguely modeled after the Imperial's lead channel. The only reason I built an amp at all is that I wanted something I could turn up until it distorted. Otherwise, I was a one-amp guy.

As far as the price versus a stock Fender: If you are careful and patient, you can pick one up in the $1600 range, at least here in the U.S. They go for around $1700 much more commonly. If you are really careful and patient ... mine was less than either of those. $500 isn't a small amount of money, but: Would you be 100% satisfied with the speaker in the Supersonic? If you aren't, that's another $150 maybe. If you buy it new, you will have to retube it to something reasonable, whereas the TK will be loaded with something good even when used. That's another $100. It weighs 28 pounds, which you'll appreciate if you want to take it out.

I am a total cheapskate for a lot of stuff, but the TK is one of those pieces of gear that I paid through the nose for and feel like I made out like a bandit.

I only have three pieces of gear that I would buy again without hesitation as soon as possible if they were lost or stolen: My Imperial, the El Capistan, and my Koa Larivee (which is, unfortunately, irreplaceable).

Tremster

Everything everyone says is true, but don't forget that Raulduke is on the other side of the pond from you, so vintage Fenders and Traynors aren't that easy to find, and Tone King and Mesa etc. cost way more over here.

micromegas

Quote from: pickdropper on September 03, 2014, 06:13:20 PM
Have you thought about looking into a vintage Fender?  There are deals to be had if you look around a bit.

There are some great boutique sounding options out there but many of them cost as much as a vintage amp.  The newer amps are possibly a bit more reliable, but if this is for home, you may want to look at getting the real thing.  I have a couple of vintage Fenders (vibrolux and super reverb) and they are a lot of fun.
I don't know how it works in England, but they're really hard to find in Spain at least. I think that the vintage amp deal thing only applies in EEUU.

raulduke

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate your thoughts.

I've seen the brunetti and specs look great but it looks a little ugly IMO.

I also notice none of you have recommended the super sonic which is interesting...

Vintage fenders are a no go in the uk unfortunately; not many are around, and the ones that are available are stupid money.

Don't see many traynors around the uk either (shame a I read great stuff about them)

I think splurging out for some toneking goodness may be a strong possibility...

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk