News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cats In Spacccceeeeee!

Started by selfdestroyer, September 03, 2014, 06:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

Can someone give me the simplified steps in achieving this look/the reverse etch-paint process? I've had decent success with my first few enclosure etchings, however mine have just been bare cases and I really like how the paint finishes the look. Great great work!

micromegas

Quote from: ggarms on September 03, 2014, 08:02:43 PM
Can someone give me the simplified steps in achieving this look/the reverse etch-paint process? I've had decent success with my first few enclosure etchings, however mine have just been bare cases and I really like how the paint finishes the look. Great great work!

Take a look at Cody's (selfdestroyer's) signature.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

ggarms

I've got that part down, it's just that he hasn't updated with the painting yet. Thanks for the direction though (:

micromegas

Quote from: ggarms on September 03, 2014, 08:09:09 PM

I've got that part down, it's just that he hasn't updated with the painting yet. Thanks for the direction though (:

Here you have an aproximation from the man himself then:

Quote from: selfdestroyer on July 21, 2014, 10:51:04 PM
Its all rattle can. I am in love with the Rustoleum metallic colors and have most of the colors in that series. I find that the darker metallic colors really help the etch pop.

I am still working on a pictorial for my blog but here is the jest of it.

1) Sand box 1000 grit
2) I iron on HP glossy presentation paper for transfer (I cater most of my "found" artwork to reverse etching.)
3) drill enclosure
4) paint enclosure with rattle can paint (light coats help to not lose your etch)
5) Use a small sanding block and 1500 grit paper to remove paint from raised area
6) You will have some areas of the paint that look a bit dull from the wet sand. Its not a problem since the clear coat paint will fill in any light scratches and makes the color pop even more.
7) 5 or 6 coats of flat clear

Cody
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

ggarms

stevie1556

Awesome build! Very tidy insides and amazing etch!

GermanCdn

Quote from: wgc on September 03, 2014, 07:58:40 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on September 03, 2014, 06:23:25 PM
Quote from: wgc on September 03, 2014, 05:57:37 PM
I think all cats should wear space suits.  Not because I don't like them, because I'm allergic.  ;-)

Love the box, great playing.  Reminds me a bit of I Mother Earth.  That's a good thing.

Now there is a band I haven't listened to since the 90's I Mother Earth. Thanks wgc! just found what i am listening to on my way home  :)

Blue green orange. Found a couple of CDs not long ago, still dig em.

On topic - nice build.

Off topic - Blue Green Orange is not IMEs best work.  Scenery & Fish and Dig are far better (both with Edwin).  You want music to drive home to?  Crank Levitate till your windshield shakes.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

wgc

Completely agree, both on and off topic.  Blue green orange is the cd I found recently, still not bad.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

blearyeyes

Quote from: ggarms on September 03, 2014, 08:02:43 PM

Looks like you just cover everything you want to keep with toner or whatever except what you want to remove in a reverse etch..

lars

Quote from: chuckbuick on September 03, 2014, 01:05:01 PM
Sweet build.  I dig the Catstronauts.
Catstronauts. :)
Keep up the amazing builds, and that awesome green shag!

selfdestroyer

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Its been a long time since I made a demo of a pedal and I feel I finally have a decent setup to record them now. I might be able to add video at some point. I get so self concious about my playing that it take many takes before I feel like its worth sharing. I am sure over time I will get more relaxed and get through my head that its just a demo and not studio take. lol

I STILL need to snap photos during the painting process but I afraid it may disappoint people since its really not a difficult procedure other than taking a small sanding block and 1500 wet sanding paper and just taking your time over the raised areas.

Cody

Hexjibber

Haha, cool I love the artwork on this one Cody!

Blues Healer

I love the sound of that clip ... from the few things I've seen, DeadAstronaut is certainly doing some creative stuff.

Also, props to VIPfx. I love the Silk Hat. I also have an All Star Reverb board that I haven't built yet. It looks as if the Chasm is no longer available from him ... well, he did say it wouldn't last! :)
"music heals"

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk