News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LED Strip Workbench Lighting Advice

Started by chromesphere, September 03, 2014, 04:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys, as some of you know, we are extending our house at the moment.  There's a few changes happening in the study, if you watch my youtube videos you will know the cupboard where my amps and guitars live?  That's basically going to be a new study nook with a built in workbench for..well..all my crap :D

Long story short, one thing that I have wanted to do is set up some LED strip lighting above the workbench so I can see what I'm doing when I'm working on things without the need for a desk lamp.  This is probably a regional question (my fellow aussies), but does anyone know where you can get something that is fit for the purpose?  Something bright and dc power pack powered? I see you can buy the leds on a strip, but I was thinking something more retail, all in one pack sort of thing (led strip + dc power pack + metal bezel etc), stick it on the surface and plug it in.
Any ideas / help appreciated!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

hoodoo

Hey Paul, BCF and other camping/boating/fishing stores  would probably have what you are after  :)

chromesphere

Hey Matt, ill check it out thanks!

I was reading on EEVBlog forum about the DIY route.  Looks pretty simple.  Just a screw terminal to dc jack.  I'll see if I can find a 12v powerpack with high enough ampage.  I bought a 5m reel of ebay on recommendation from someone on the forum.  No doubt my new set up will feature in a future video.  Assuming I survive this ordeal :D

davent

Hi Paul, This supplier won't be of much use to you but this at least gives you specifics as to what to be on the look out for. ( And good for us in NA.)

http://www.leevalley.com/en/html/00u4101-guide-04.pdf

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=71702&cat=1,43349

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

cooder

Hi Paul,
I'd be keen to hear what you end up using (and which LED strip you got off evilbay...) as I'm thinking of doing something similar and I'm in NZ, so supplier could work for me too, maybe....
Cheers
BigNoise Amplification

wgc

IKEA hack, I think they have a few things that could work
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

chromesphere

Excellent link Davent!  I wish that company was in Australia :(
Im thinking 2 strips centered instead of one long strip might be the way to go.   The leds I have ordered claim "600 lm's" of light, I assume this is for the entire 5 metre length.  I will try to find something that can power alteast 2 metres, and then use 2 metre strip int he centre of the desk.  That's the plan so far.

Cooder, this is the led strip I bought.  No idea if its any good yet though:

5050 Cool White Not Waterproofed ~$10

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141300252362?var=440418855994&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Leevibe

Quote from: chromesphere on September 04, 2014, 01:23:08 AM
Excellent link Davent!  I wish that company was in Australia :(
Im thinking 2 strips centered instead of one long strip might be the way to go.   The leds I have ordered claim "600 lm's" of light, I assume this is for the entire 5 metre length.  I will try to find something that can power alteast 2 metres, and then use 2 metre strip int he centre of the desk.  That's the plan so far.

Cooder, this is the led strip I bought.  No idea if its any good yet though:

5500 Cool White Not Waterproofed ~$10

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141300252362?var=440418855994&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I think your bench will be able to double as a disco with that setup :)

chromesphere

Do you reckon I should order a strobe unit for the led strip as well Lee? :D  Im hoping its bright.  Very bright.  A few lumens off retina damage really.

electrosonic

I have bought similar led lights off of ebay. I would buy the waterproof version, because I think they are probably more durable. I put some in the bedroom closet and added a cheap motion detector module (less than $10 on ebay too). The closet lights up when I reach for my socks and turns off when I am done.

You can also get dimmer modules for cheap too.

Andrew.

Justus

I'm using similar LED strips inside my gun safe.  For the workbench I found some cheap, linkable LED strip/bezel/lights on clearance at home supply stores such as Lowes or Home Depot.  I'm not sure if Australia has anything like those big box retailers though.

Willybomb

I'd be surprised if Jaycar couldn't help you.

chromesphere

Ah yes Willy, they can, but at what cost? :D They have a pretty good range but they are pretty dam expensive.  Like...$50 for 2 x 30cm strips (from memory). See how this chinese crap goes, if its no good might need ot get it from them! Still will need a PSU and theres no way im buying one of those from ebay, so probably pay them a visit for that one.  Wouldn't mind using something beefy so I can power 3m (2 x 1.5m).  Something powerful enough to give my a slight suntan.

drolo

Hi Paul, when you get yours I would be interested to know if they are bright enough. I was checking these out on ebay too for the same purpose (for the workbench light, not the solarium ... ;-) From the description and images I could not really tell if they would be bright enough.

chromesphere

Will do Drolo!  Still waiting for it at the moment :D