Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One day Mammoth pot blowout

Started by GermanCdn, September 02, 2014, 06:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

$0.65 on all single gang 16 mm, including PCB mount

$0.85 on all dual gang 16 mm
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jubal81

I jumped on that as soon as I saw the email. Looked around for other stuff to add to the order and - meh.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

So, 15c more than they cost at Tayda, with worse customer service?

I mean, I guess if you're in a huge hurry and can't wait 7 days. :/

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on September 02, 2014, 06:30:49 PM

The problem is that some of the Tayda ones are not to spec.  I have a bunch that I bought that have shafts that are undersized.  You can tell right away because they use different style nuts on them.  I've given up on 16mm pots from Tayda as I'd rather know what I am getting ahead of time.

Somewhat contradictory, I sometimes buy 9mm pots from Tayda despite the fact that some of those have the exact same problem.  I just end up using them for prototyping and don't put them in finished builds.  I should probably just get everything from Small Bear.

But yeah, I agree about Mammoth customer service.  It's definitely lacking.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Govmnt_Lacky

Thats why I use Alps pots!  8)

Never had an issue with them.  ;D

rullywowr

Agreed - however Tayda has only two choices for "A" taper PCB mount 16mm pots....and smallbear is the only game in town at 2x the price! 

I'm in for some Mammoth PCB mount blowout pots specifically in the "A" and "C" tapers.

Thanks for sharing this.

-B

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

mmlee

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 02, 2014, 06:55:50 PM

Have you got the model numbers?

Cheers,
Marcus
>Marcus

GermanCdn

Quote from: rullywowr on September 02, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

Agreed - however Tayda has only two choices for "A" taper PCB mount 16mm pots....and smallbear is the only game in town at 2x the price! 

I'm in for some Mammoth PCB mount blowout pots specifically in the "A" and "C" tapers.

Thanks for sharing this.

-B

Yeah, I'll put in an order for some A's and C's I can't get elsewhere.  But not much else to fill up the shopping cart with to make the order worth the shipping.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

alanp

I'll have to look them up on RS and compare prices -- RS don't carry Alpha, I think.

Smallbear are strictly for when I need something that's exclusive, their shipping is painful otherwise. Like Mouser.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Shrtyska9

I was going to ask where you get those pots. They are awesome.
Richard

selfdestroyer

Thats what I was thinking. I only get the occasional knob set from them since I can't seem to find them anywhere else but for the most part I avoid them these days.

Cody

davent

Doesn't cherry picking a deal here, a deal there end up costing you far more more when you take into account the numerous shipping charges you're going to end up paying?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Govmnt_Lacky

Alps pots are really the best I have used. They do have their limitations though. The biggest being that they are only available in 5K, 10K, 20K, 50K, 100K, and 200K  :-\

No 500K or 1M. They do have the 3 usual suspect tapers and also a modified "S" taper (for you authentic TS fans)

Also, they are only available in solder lug and PCB mount pins. No long pins.

dont-tase-me-bro

Do they sell alpha pcb mount, with standard pin, at mouser ?
I thought this would save me money.

jubal81

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 03, 2014, 12:40:44 AM
Alps pots are really the best I have used. They do have their limitations though. The biggest being that they are only available in 5K, 10K, 20K, 50K, 100K, and 200K  :-\

No 500K or 1M. They do have the 3 usual suspect tapers and also a modified "S" taper (for you authentic TS fans)

Also, they are only available in solder lug and PCB mount pins. No long pins.

Where do you like to source them?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair