News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question on Kokbox EQ section

Started by imaradiostar, April 30, 2011, 03:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imaradiostar

I'm a little curious about the EQ values in the Kokbox. I've played around with Duncan's tone stack simulator a bit and it sure seems like the mid control would be totally ineffective. Has anyone tried using tone values more like a Mesa or SLO?

Perhaps the high treble cap value is to compensate for the natural mid scoop already built into most amplifiers?

If so, why bother with an ineffective mid control?

jamie

junkemail86

I'm no expert on tone stacks, but I do remember a mention of this at FSB (page 5/8 of Box of Metal thread)
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3911&hilit=box+of+metal+capacitor&start=80

Somebody said that the 2n cap might actually be 180pF.  Does look better in the calculator?  I may try it, I never liked the EQ on my build either.

jkokura

Welcome to the forum by the way!

I haven't built that circuit, but I do want to ask - have you built it? I don't know if it's an ineffectual mid control or not, but it sounds like you're just looking at it and haven't heard it yet.

Sometimes, and it's part of what I find interesting and cool about circuits, sometimes the things that don't make sense mathematically make total sonic sense. It might look weird, but breadboard it and then see what it sounds like, then start adjusting things if you still don't like it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals