News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any other DE wet shavers out there?

Started by Leevibe, September 01, 2014, 06:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on September 04, 2014, 05:36:26 PM
So moving on... all you DE'ers, always the case, or converts from the multi-blade universe?

Advantages/disadvantages?

The attraction of ritual or truly a better shave? (i can fall for and embrace ritual)

Thanks
dave

I used to use a Gillette Fusion and gel from a can. I feel like I get a better shave, but it's probably more about the ritual and the challenge of getting the perfect shave.

Quote from: davent on September 04, 2014, 06:23:34 PM
Quote from: zilla on September 04, 2014, 05:30:10 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/

your new time sink ;)

http://badgerandblade.com/

Could this be the shiny bauble that breaks the pedal building spell...

Not for me. I got in, learned what I wanted to learn, and got out. It seems silly that some people are so into it that they have "shave lockers" with whole collections of razors, brushes, mugs, creams, after shaves. There's even the equivalent of NOS mojo in that some guys pay big money to buy and restore antique holy grail razors. And that's just the DE stuff. Then there's the whole straight razor thing. I'm sticking to pedals and amps! :)

davent

Grew up watching my dad shave with his "safety razor" (had never seen the DE terminology before here) and the mystery slot in the medicine cabinent that swallowed the spent blades.

Have been using badger brushes with various Body Shop products (seems they discountinue  product as soon as i latch onto it as something useful) and drugstore soaps for years, small step to take the plunge into DE.

All sounds like my cup of tea... The nostalgia, the ritual, the cool tools, the arcanity, the outsider status, the challenge, the need for a little danger in my morning to get my eyes open and the brain engaged... i'm weak and the suck of the rabbit hole is strong, that and the enabler- free shipping at Amazon... doomed. I've still got time, a full pack of blades for my old razor and the local razor center has nothing, no razors or blades, gives me time to sort through it all, haven't found a diyse forum yet so my pedal building may be still safe, i need to be making something all the time.

Thanks guys, give life onto the mundane!
dave

edit. The Italian Barber is fairly close by and on this side of the border so no crazy import trauma just Canada Post or whomever to deal with and Ontario sales taxes.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Quote from: flanagan0718 on September 04, 2014, 05:11:51 PM
Thanks for the information Leevibe! I often skip shaving (usually only shave twice a week) and I have, what some would say, are tree trunks for facial hair (that's the Irish in me I guess). The worst part is it grows in swirls on my neck. I'm hoping this will helps with the razor burn. The latest Gillette 9 million blade razor head certainly did shit for it so why not try something new...and look like a TOTAL bad ass to my wife and friends! But in all seriousness I'll absolutely give this a try. In the end it's really not that much more expensive. The refills for the Gillette crap is $400 for 3 heads so it all works out. I will checkout that forum too! Thanks again.

Haha! I predict that you will spend more time in the bathroom in the morning than your wife, and your friends won't get it. :)

davent

No worries, I'm safe, i swear her hair-habit-bill swamps my pedal building bill over the course of a year and then she's out of the house in the morning before i ever manage to pry my eyes open so no bathroom wars, on a perfect day my daughter's left as well! And my friends... well i'm definitely already a puzzle so the unexpected/obscure/eccentric/odd? is the norm.

dave

Haberdasher

not much to say here, other than i do wet shave.  i use a super badger and my favorite 2 hard soaps are harris "arlington" and mike's natural soaps "barber shop".  you have to try barber shop.  I'm not too much into creams.
i have a straight razor, and a couple of old gillette de handles i inherited from dad and gramps.  but i am also a head shaver (yes that's right, a baldie), so 80% of the time i just grab a mach 3 for the convenience.
i tried shaving my head with the straight razor once.  a harrowing experience that i am not keen to repeat.  i just don't have the skill.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

alanp

You need to update your avatar then, Keefe :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

Closest I get is when I received my set of supersharp hobby knives (the Stanley knife wasn't fine enough).

"Wow, I bet these are sharp enough to shave with!"

*ten seconds later, LICK, cutcutcut, no hair left on the left arm and a few cuts..*
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Quote from: alanp on September 05, 2014, 04:17:33 PM
You need to update your avatar then, Keefe :)

Whether is Lebowski or Stane up there in the corner, the image etched in my mind will always be "the dude" in a bathrobe  hovered over and gently rocking a tray full of ferric chloride and pcb's.

davent

Curtis may have guitars but i have razor blades man. Order from Italian Barber came in today, more then my last Mouser order and free shipping with orders over only $60us.

Bought a Razorock Mission razor that came with Astra, Treet and Rapira blades, added Feathers, Bolzano, PolSilver and Gillette yellow Seven O'clock's, a couple pre-shaves, a soap, a cream and an alum block. Razor has a solid core handle, nice weighty heft. Let the blood bath begin!

Leevibe

Quote from: davent on September 23, 2014, 12:27:44 AM
Curtis may have guitars but i have razor blades man. Order from Italian Barber came in today, more then my last Mouser order and free shipping with orders over only $60us.

Bought a Razorock Mission razor that came with Astra, Treet and Rapira blades, added Feathers, Bolzano, PolSilver and Gillette yellow Seven O'clock's, a couple pre-shaves, a soap, a cream and an alum block. Razor has a solid core handle, nice weighty heft. Let the blood bath begin!

Whoa! You really went all in man. I see the tub of TOBS. I'm all out of that stuff and kind of want to get some more in lemon and lime. Let me know how you like those Gillettes. I need to buy blades. I have one feather left.

Haberdasher

Ooo-wee.  It took me over a dozen shaves to get the smell of Tabac out of my badger.  Never again for me.

^^I just realized that's probably sig-worthy^^
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

davent

Quote from: Haberdasher on September 23, 2014, 02:11:58 AM
Ooo-wee.  It took me over a dozen shaves to get the smell of Tabac out of my badger.  Never again for me.

^^I just realized that's probably sig-worthy^^

I think that's what sold me on the Tabac- great shave reviews but love/hate on the scent, had to see for myself, figured if it was too floral or off for me i've two females in the house who's legs might appreciate the cushioned shave. My wife says she really likes the scent although her head is plugged solid with a cold. Hmmm... floral with a touch of Tide laundry detergent, we'll see, i've a spare brush.

The TOBS is the Avocado, scent reminds of babies.

The 3P- strong, i believe, camphor scent, this one they suggest as a pre/post and maybe even shave cream?

Going to change  one element at a time over a number of days, start by trying out the preshaves with my Trac II and Real Shaving Co. creams.

Next change up the creams/soaps and finally try the DE once i figure out which blade to initiate first.

What a can of worms i've opened for first thing in the morning.
dave

Leevibe

I bet you'll give up the cartridge after your first DE shave. Just go slow, light pressure, not too many passes. Shoot for par. It's too fun to go back.

davent

Thanks Lee, i'm looking forward to getting to it, i'm persistent and love a journey and ritual,  i'll see this through plus i've a pile a razor blades i'm not going to allow to go to waste!

Cheers!
dave