News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

5 in a box

Started by robrhy, August 30, 2014, 07:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Got 'em. Need a mirror next.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

robrhy

Quote from: juansolo on September 01, 2014, 10:05:47 AM
Yep. One thing I asked Josh for when he was designing the optotrons was an extra set of power pads for this very reason. So power comes from jack to first Optotron then runs from the second set of pads to the next and so on. It's the white and black wire on the photo. The single black wire is the signal wire between the optotrons.

At this point in the wiring, all the switching and jacks are in and it's bypassable. I test at this point to make sure everything is working and bypassing/lighting up as it should. All that you need to add after this is one effect at a time.

I mount on solid core wiring most of the time. Some of the raised ones are using the thicker amp ground style wire to make them much more sturdy. Helps with the tiering.

FWIW I'd use this method if I was using 3DPT. But in all honesty, the Optotrons are a much, much better option when it comes to building multis. Not just for reliability and lack of poppage. Just for the sheer neatness it allows for wiring. In a multi you really don't want wires everywhere.
What does the chip do on the optotrons?

muddyfox

robrhy

jubal81

Quote from: robrhy on September 10, 2014, 12:22:56 PM
Quote from: muddyfox on September 10, 2014, 07:50:30 AM
It's an optocoupler, H11F1.

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/fairchild/H11F1.pdf
Mmmm...Read that,still not sure what they do :-[

It's an isolator working like a relay. On one side, there's an LED and on the other side is a mosfet. Power gets applied to one side and makes the mosfet switch on, connecting the other two pins with a very low resistance.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

davent

Great process!

Dental mirror yes but I'd be lost without a dental pick, great for wrangling wire and an infinite number of other jobs.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?