News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

5 in a box

Started by robrhy, August 30, 2014, 07:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robrhy

If this is not the right place for this just move it.
I've been asked to build 5 boards in one box...chorus / delay / trem / flanger / boost...not necessarily in that order.Would there be any noise issues / problems having them in the same enclosure?
I would have boost last in the chain but for the rest does it matter in what order they go.No idea if they will be used individually or just 1 or 2 on or all on together.

alanp

One issue Juan ran into with an old build was heterodyning, if more than one effect uses a chargepump to get 15V.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

When I did a 4 in one (2 actually) I used the 1776 stomp boards. Worked out beautifully as the have ground and power in both sides r and. Made it so much easier.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on August 30, 2014, 08:36:35 PM
I even did a tutorial thing: http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/multibuild.html

Which is just artwork man... I love the tiering you did with the PCBs.

Cody

robrhy

Quote from: juansolo on August 30, 2014, 08:36:35 PM
I even did a tutorial thing: http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/multibuild.html
This will be a big help  :)
How did you wire up the power and the in & out jacks.I can see the cables coming from them & going to the footswitch boards but not how they are wired.Are they then "daisy chained)?

juansolo

Yep. One thing I asked Josh for when he was designing the optotrons was an extra set of power pads for this very reason. So power comes from jack to first Optotron then runs from the second set of pads to the next and so on. It's the white and black wire on the photo. The single black wire is the signal wire between the optotrons.

At this point in the wiring, all the switching and jacks are in and it's bypassable. I test at this point to make sure everything is working and bypassing/lighting up as it should. All that you need to add after this is one effect at a time.

I mount on solid core wiring most of the time. Some of the raised ones are using the thicker amp ground style wire to make them much more sturdy. Helps with the tiering.

FWIW I'd use this method if I was using 3DPT. But in all honesty, the Optotrons are a much, much better option when it comes to building multis. Not just for reliability and lack of poppage. Just for the sheer neatness it allows for wiring. In a multi you really don't want wires everywhere.

robrhy

Excellent.Think i'll go for that.As you say you don't want wires all over the place.

jimilee

Man, I always do this part last. I will try it first next time. The hardboard for me is wiring the effect board to the stomp board while it already mounted.  What's the trick there?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

muddyfox

To me, careful measurement and some decent tweezers.

That, and tucking the surplus wire under the board when I cut the wire too long.  ::)

Scruffie

Quote from: alanp on August 30, 2014, 08:22:03 PM
One issue Juan ran into with an old build was heterodyning, if more than one effect uses a chargepump to get 15V.
You don't even need to worry about charge pumps, a chorus, delay and flanger are all going to have clocks that can interact and heterodyne by design.
Works at Lectric-FX

PhiloB

Yeah Jimmy, I have a hard time threading the wire from underneath to solder the top pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddyfox

Decent tweezers and a dentist mirror work wonders for that...

PhiloB

Nice idea with the mirror!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juansolo

Quote from: jimilee on September 01, 2014, 01:20:40 PM
Man, I always do this part last. I will try it first next time. The hardboard for me is wiring the effect board to the stomp board while it already mounted.  What's the trick there?

A good pair of tweezers are an essential tool in your arsenal. I use them all the time. I don't have many tools, but tweezers, a all purpose screwdriver (you know the type) that can also be used for broddling wires around, cutters, stripper and needle nosed pliers and my most used.

FWIW I always fit the switching, jacks and power first on all builds. Boards are almost always tested prior to fitting also. The quite frankly ridiculous amount of built up effect PCBs kicking around needing boxing up will attest to this...