Main Menu

PhD in Klon studies

Started by electricb, August 29, 2014, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

Quote from: pickdropper on August 30, 2014, 07:42:02 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on August 30, 2014, 06:15:30 PM
867-5309?

No, that serial appears on a special version with a multicolor enclosure.  Two-tone to be specific.

Would that be the rainbow unicorn enclosure that Bill discontinued because they were 'aesthetically flawed'?

This is my new favorite schematic: http://www.mylkstuff.com/USERIMAGES/Schematics/Schematics-klon-Centaur-buffer.png

culturejam

^^^ That's a cool rendering.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

I *want* some software that outputs schematics like that!  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mremic01

I traced most of the Soul Food last night, and... uh... it's missing some parts.

The most interesting thing is that there's no R15 on the board, which would be R11 (15k) on soulsonic's schematic. This resistor is labeled R14B on the KTR board, and according to Bill, he added a resistor because of something something mids back in '95. Since the numbering of R14B makes it look like it was a part that was added later, could this be the extra resistor Bill added? Could it be that EHX took it out to make the Soul Food goldier?

thesameage

Awesome post! I do a bit of professional copyediting if you want another set of eyes to go through that and undong some of the errors.

Blues Healer

not to be a naysayer, but I began to question the whole klon thing when I read in the Premier Guitar interview that he was trying to design something that would retain his tone when he played his tele through his Twin in small clubs   ???
"music heals"

mremic01

Quote from: Blues Healer on September 05, 2014, 10:37:09 PM
not to be a naysayer, but I began to question the whole klon thing when I read in the Premier Guitar interview that he was trying to design something that would retain his tone when he played his tele through his Twin in small clubs   ???

Pretty much, yeah. I don't know why questioning the Klon thing would make you a naysayer. We all know it's just an overdrive pedal, and for the most part, we know what's inside it.

mremic01

Quote from: thesameage on September 05, 2014, 05:09:36 PM
Awesome post! I do a bit of professional copyediting if you want another set of eyes to go through that and undong some of the errors.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not too concerned about quality. It was meant to be a collection of my notes in blog form for my own reference. I'm genuinely surprised any DIYers care. The undong was deliberate though. That was Mark Hammer's typo that I left in cause card table. I thought I caught most of the real typos, less one that I've been too lazy to fix. Are there that many more?

thesameage

It's more than readable. Half my job is copy editing, so I'm probably seeing stuff that wouldn't bother most. Just polish, though. Doesn't take away from the post.

mremic01

juansolo

All those innard shots, surely klonoscopy?

catfud

Remarkable for the sheer quantities of black goop used. What is that stuff anyway?

mremic01

Quote from: catfud on September 07, 2014, 08:59:24 AM
Remarkable for the sheer quantities of black goop used. What is that stuff anyway?

It's some kind of epoxy. If your Centaur dies, Bill won't even repair it due to the goop. He just puts in a new board.

juansolo

Watch the X-Files episode about Tunguska...

mremic01

Quote from: juansolo on September 07, 2014, 05:14:33 PM

Watch the X-Files episode about Tunguska...

Bill Finnegan is a pseudonym for Alex Krycek.