News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sparklehorn cap

Started by muddyfox, August 26, 2014, 09:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

The builddoc calls for a silver mica 200pf. Does it have to be sm?

micromegas

I don't really think so, that 200 pf is the cap in the feedback loop of the opamp that softens the clipping. I've used ceramics and film caps in many TS and Zendrive clones and they worked just fine.

Said that, silver mica caps do a really good work there, and the distortion seems "rounder" (if that means something)
maybe someone could explain why? maybe the freq response of the low-pass filter is better with a silver mica? maybe is because of the cap's tolerance itself?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

blearyeyes

Metallized mica (Silver mica) capacitors   

Very high stability. No aging. Low losses. Used for HF and low VHF RF circuits and as capacitance standard in measuring bridge circuits. Mostly replaced by Class 1 ceramic capacitors.

Glass capacitors   

Better stability and frequency than silver mica. Ultra-reliable. Ultra-stable. Resistant to nuclear radiation. Operating temperature: −75 °C to +200 °C and even short overexposure to +250 °C.

Used mostly in post apocalypse rock guitar pedals in the future....

GrindCustoms

There must be a reason behind that suggestion, but i'd say use the cap of that value you have.

Tolerance wise, i have à good stock of 5% silvermica by CornellDubiler and most of the time they will be more off of their value than the 5% MLCC i mostly use in pedals.... Far as sound goes, it's probably à matter of taste.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

madbean

Ceramic is fine if you do not have mica.