News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fume extractor

Started by night-B, April 29, 2011, 08:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

thanks for the report, i think i will be ordering one  :)
Pcbs no longer available

jimmybjj

here is a pretty cool diy extractor. No filters or anything, but has a pcb :) to build a speed control.

EDIT: sorry about that :) here it is http://jumperone.com/2011/07/portable-fume-extractor/
Pcbs no longer available

jstbrowsin

jubal81

Found another DIY solution that looks really simple and CHeap!

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmybjj

Quote from: gtr2 on September 20, 2011, 05:56:49 PM
I just ordered one of these.  It's on sale.

http://www.tequipment.net/HakkoFA400-04.html

Josh

That one looks nice. I was going to order that one but got a weller off of amazon instead. Mistake, the weller works "well" but sounds like a freakin airplane!!! I should have got the hakko, let's us know what you think of it.
Pcbs no longer available

mandrewbot3k

I realize this is a very old post but j kept getting headaches after long sessions of soldering. So o built this...

Just gutted an old power supply that I had laying around. Salvaged the hookup wire. Added a barrel plug. And wired it up. Uses the original switch too. Thought about using the 110 hookup and putting a transformer inside but was lazy. Basically it'll suck through the "top" one which will end up on its side. And I have some carbon filter material in shipment right now. It'll go under the grill there.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

dont-tase-me-bro

I use a cheap hakko one.  It's amazing how caked the filter gets
I thought this would save me money.

mremic01

You guys don't just blow the fumes away? It's pretty much become second nature for me. I don't even think about it. I've also been building pedals in my apartment for some three years now and it doesn't smell like solder smoke. It sometimes reeks of FlCL and acetone though... 

gtr2

I use one most of the time...better safe than sorry
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

dont-tase-me-bro

This is the one I use

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fa400.html

There is way nicer stuff on the market, but some of them are pretty expensive
I thought this would save me money.

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: mremic01 on January 18, 2015, 11:30:55 PM
You guys don't just blow the fumes away? It's pretty much become second nature for me. I don't even think about it. I've also been building pedals in my apartment for some three years now and it doesn't smell like solder smoke. It sometimes reeks of FlCL and acetone though...

Haha. I got tired of trying to find all the snipped leads I blew off my desk. Plus the headaches. Got a bad migraine last week the day after populating a few boards. Just got my carbon filter today from Amazon and a 12v ps since I couldn't find one sitting around.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

televisiondown

I like that altoid filter. Might have to try that one.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement