News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Looking to purchase a laser printer...

Started by ggarms, August 25, 2014, 06:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

Hey guys! the habit of running back and forth in the office to print etch masks is getting quite tedious, so I feel like it is time to invest in a laser printer to assist me in my needs. Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably prices ones that will accomplish what I need? I know there are issues with brother printers (or so i've heard). I found this one on amazon and it seems to be what I'm looking for. http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-Laserjet-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00847UWUE/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Anyone have any experience with this printer or others? Thanks!

davent

We have that one, sometimes can be a bit finicky about making the wireless connection (assume that could also be other issues then the printers) but overall i've been pleased.  Having the wireless connection is great for use with the various computers scattered around the house. And only ever used HP Toner.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

rullywowr

It's ironic you mention this.  I am about to pull the trigger on a new Brother HL-2270DW monochrome laser with wifi/duplex.  It is $79 shipped on Amazon and gets great reviews.  There was a concern about Brother printers in the past having toner issues with PCB transfer but that has since cleared up.  I have read and verified that this particular printer does the toner transfer trick no problem from an electronics enthusiast who bought said printer.

I have an older HP Color Laserjet 1600 that I really just want to take a baseball bat to (like the movie Office Space).  It has massive problems and I'm sick of hearing it whir and chug.  I can hear it schemimg on the next envelope it wants to feed sideways, chomp and destroy on me.  When it's not doing that, its ghosting prints or getting toner drops of all colors over my special printing stock.  The design is really crappy and it probably will be best served as a boat anchor.  I think I may use some of the motors inside to make a guitar pickup winder.  HP used to be awesome back in the day.  I had an old HP monochrome laser I got for free with a parallel port to usb adapter which worked great!

I also have a color Canon Pixma (which I got for like $50 on sale a couple months ago) which I love for color stuff.  The laser I am replacing is going to be mainly used as general purpose printing, envelope postage printing, and of course the one off toner transfer PCB printer.  Figured I would give Brother a try as I like the feature set, the size, the WiFi, the price, and the cost of replacement toner is pretty cheap.  Works out to like 1-2c a page.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

I use a HP LaserJet Pro P1102w for everyday printing and also for all my etches. I just changed the print density to "5" in the printer menu and I was ready to rock. I have had it for 9 months and I have just changed the toner 2 weeks ago.

Cody

Alaboogie

Bump it up! I'm in the same boat, been looking at printers for like a month trying to decide which one is best for toner transfers...but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I saw the hp laserjet pro selling for $64 but last week when I went to buy it, it jumped to $110! So I'm very interested to hear what everyone is using :)

slimtriggers

I've used a Brother HL-2140 all along for toner transfers and never had a problem. 

I think this is where I got my toner cartridge: https://www.tonergreen.com/

jubal81

+1 for Brother

I got a Brother 2240 monochrome a few months ago on a whim - on sale for $75 - and it's made toner transfer a breeze. I've never had results like this using the industrial printer at work or from anything I've had printed at Office Max.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

madbean

My Brother has no problem at all with toner transfer.

Govmnt_Lacky

There are known problems with certain Brother printer modeals and PnP Blue (if that is your flavor)

Do your research before purchase  ;)

davent

Quote from: davent on August 25, 2014, 06:54:57 PM
We have that one, sometimes can be a bit finicky about making the wireless connection (assume that could also be other issues then the printers) but overall i've been pleased.  Having the wireless connection is great for use with the various computers scattered around the house. And only ever used HP Toner.

ed. Should add we've been using the above mentioned HP for quite a few years now.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on August 25, 2014, 07:26:24 PM

Mine does. At least with bonded (glossy) magazine paper. Works real shitty.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

bcalla

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 25, 2014, 07:30:00 PM
There are known problems with certain Brother printer modeals and PnP Blue (if that is your flavor)

Do your research before purchase  ;)
I have a Brother HL-3070CW, and it does not create good transfers on PnP Blue.

ggarms

wow guys, thanks for all the replies. It's good to know what others have had success with. I certainly don't want to spread mis/dis-information about brother printers-as stated before I thought I had read something about folks having issues with them, so thanks for clarifying.

Funny story:I'm lucky (or unlucky) enough to work in claims so my job is done in the car and at home, but any time I need to print an etch mask I have to go into the office and run back and forth between the centralized printer and an open desk, hoping someone doesn't click print before I do and have their document have a big square of blue taped to it. A few weeks ago I made a trip to the office for a meeting and figured I'd take the opportunity to print a bumblebee etch and accidentally selected a printer on our network in an office about 90 miles away. This specific printer handles our printing when we are on the road so things can be mailed to people. Somehow, (and I am still trying to figure this out) it got mailed to a customer along with their settlement documents. I called the guy a week later to make sure he received everything and he said "Yeah, I got your check ok, but why the heck am I getting wiring diagrams for a bumblebee". So long story short, I need a laser printer, if only to avoid that happening again  :o

madbean

Quote from: culturejam on August 25, 2014, 08:43:38 PM
Quote from: madbean on August 25, 2014, 07:26:24 PM

Mine does. At least with bonded (glossy) magazine paper. Works real shitty.  ;D

On mine, I run PNP Blue and never more than a half sheet (taped to a regular copy paper). I've never had a printer that will successfully run an entire sheet of PNP through. Don't know nuttin about no magazine paper.

Govmnt_Lacky

I have run entire sheets of PnP on my work printer (Xerox Phaser 6350) but that is NOT a printer I recommend for home use due to price LOL  :o  I typically cut to size and tape to the normal copy paper as Brian stated.

I have also had issues with certain HP printers. For some reason some of those HPs use a different type of toner that actually MELT the PnP when it goes through. They run HOT!!!