News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sabertooth - Question about matching

Started by satrian, August 25, 2014, 04:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satrian

This will be a very noobish basic question. Does q1 and q2 need to be matched in order to build/get a good sound out of Sabertooth? I'll be building one soon, and since I know fuzz pedals are temperamental with transistors (probably when using germanium, but anyway) I wanted to clear that question before getting down to business.

Thanks for your time, guys!

lincolnic

I've built a couple of these, and I've never had to match the transistors (or even measure gain) to make them sound good. All of my builds have sounded pretty much the same, and seemed spot on when I compared them to the real thing.

It's a really fun circuit, enjoy the build!

m-Kresol

I've build one on vero for a friend and did in fact match them, because I didn't know if it's necessary or not.
To my ears it sounds quite good, but it's rather noisy when activated but not playing the bass. I haven't heard an original yet, but I thought it was good!
Good luck with yours
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

satrian

Thank you very much for the quick replies. I have the boards all ready to go. I'm just waiting for my local manufacturer to finally get the 1590Bs out of the production line so I can start boxing a few projects that I have behind schedule.

muddyfox

Wow, you have a local Hammond manufacturer?

satrian

Quote from: muddyfox on August 27, 2014, 06:12:16 PM

Wow, you have a local Hammond manufacturer?

Sorry for taking ages to reply. No, it's not Hammond. It's a local manufacturer that makes boxes very similar to the 1590Bs... slightly larger though.