Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My take on the K.L.O.N.E.

Started by sturgeo, August 23, 2014, 11:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturgeo

My first ever build report!

A K.L.O.N.E. with buffered bypass.
My first PCB with board mounted pots, sooo much easier, i hate offboard wiring!
Issue is in the UK i can only find the dual gang 100k linear pots on Banzai and there service isn't great.

This is one of the first batch of PCBs, next ones will have a few tweaks and will be black.
The main PCB is from iTead and the smaller DPDT board is from OSH Park.
Slowly moving over to Panasonic ECQ-V caps, keep popping them on mouser orders until i qualify for free shipping.
This one has 1n34a diodes, got some D9E's waiting to go in another, I'll measure the FV and A/B between two pedals, not sure if they'll be a massive difference but we'll see.

After trying many different methods applying the artwork, I've gone for the reverse etched acrylic. Really pleased with the look.

m-Kresol

That looks really good. Like the simplicity of the box finish and the guts are very clean!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

kothoma

midwayfair

Uh, if you're going to sell these, you can't put "Centaur" on them. The "Centaur" is the trademarked name of the pedal. The company name is Klon. They're both protected IP.

Nice looking build, but ... don't get sued.

juansolo

Quote from: sturgeo on August 23, 2014, 11:17:29 AM

Issue is in the UK i can only find the dual gang 100k linear pots on Banzai and there service isn't great.

We get them from Tayda, I think Dr Tweek might stock them also (but it'll cost more).

Classy layout inside and out BTW.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Leevibe

This is just drop-dead gorgeous, sturgeo. I really, really like the aesthetic here. Just beautiful in every way.

Your board layout looks really nice too. Is that a 3mm fresnel?

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on August 23, 2014, 02:00:01 PM
Uh, if you're going to sell these, you can't put "Centaur" on them. The "Centaur" is the trademarked name of the pedal. The company name is Klon. They're both protected IP.

Nice looking build, but ... don't get sued.

Yeah, I'm with Jon on this one.  It's a great looking build.  You can drop the Centaur and it'll still look great and potentially save you a lot of hassle.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chuckbuick

Great looking build.  I really dig the board layout, too.  Well done.

wgc

Sweet!  Dig the acrylic and graphics
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

Really slick build...you can tell how much thought went into that layout, too.

rullywowr

Don't sue me bro! 

Love the looks and cleanliness! 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

sturgeo

Thanks for the comments :) and the heads up about using the "Centaur" name, i assumed (wrongly!) as you can't buy one of the originals anymore (now KTR) it wouldn't be an issue. I'll get that sorted asap!

Droogie

That's a sweet layout and build. Super clean and pro!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Guybrush

Wow, I love this.

Please could you decribe how you did the face plate? Really dig it!

Cheers