News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tourbillon Phaser

Started by PhiloB, August 19, 2014, 01:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Got this PCB from aballen as a PIF.  Thanks bud!  It is subtle but sounds great!!  Shout out to Mike Flanagan for the clear orange led.  I tried out a red diffused but the clear orange did sound better so I went with it.  As you can see, I consider this a Madbean build seeing as so many others contributed:) This is a great community.
The most interesting feature of this phaser is the shape pot. It is really cool - it allows you to select the 'vowel' of the phase.
I've included an audio sample but it really is just me playing through the pedal rather than a proper demo of what the pedal can do.  The rhythm guitar has the most pronounced effect of the 2 guitars.  The melodic guitar has a really slow phase with shallow depth.  I probably went too subtle.  The other effects heard are from Garageband (Delay/Reverb).  It is best heard in headphones due to the stereo delay;)

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/resuggan/tourbillon-phaser-1[/soundcloud]
http://soundcloud.com/resuggan/tourbillon-phaser-1

jimilee

Man, that's truly awesome, I'm gonna build mine next along with the doppelganger and the 30 some odd other boards I have, ooh and the sparklehorn I just got, I may need some help....
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

flanagan0718

Glad I could help out. This thing sounds great!! I'll have to move it up in my list. Maybe a 2 in 1 with a verb or delay would be cool.

culturejam

Nice work, and sounds very nice!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

PhiloB

Can't believe I left this out:
If you're going to build this one, don't be a bonehead like me.  It clearly states on Rej's site that there are some resistor changes that need to happen from the BOM to bring the pedal to unity volume wise.
I read this and THEN proceeded to populate the board according to BOM.  At which point I was confused as to why there was a volume drop.  Pretty embarrassing. 
While trying to remove the wrong resistors I lifted a pad but managed to work around it.  I learned that desoldering braid works better than a solder pump at times:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloverleaf

Wow, sounds absolutely fantastic... think this'll be the next phaser I'll be building! :)

bcalla

Great build & demo.  I love the sound, I don't know why I haven't built mine yet.  Just bumped up the priority.

pickdropper

Very nice build and the demo sounds great.  I may have to get around to building this one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Wow, you really nailed, sounds great, clean guts and nice enclosure. :)

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

PhiloB

Thanks guys.  You have a great PCB here Rej.

PhiloB

I've been thinking, it might be cool to put this effect in a wah shell and wire the shape to the wah pot.  Nice, slow sweeps might be cool:)

jimilee

Quote from: PhiloB on August 20, 2014, 01:10:13 AM
I've been thinking, it might be cool to put this effect in a wah shell and wire the shape to the wah pot.  Nice, slow sweeps might be cool:)

Sounds like you need to build another!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

juansolo

They're a bit of a fiddly build, but a cracking phaser. Some really nice sounds in there.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

wgc

Looks and sounds great! 

I much prefer wick. Bummer about the pad.

Next time, reflow the joint from underneath and use needle nose or tweezers  from above to pull out that lead only.  Don't pull too hard, make sure the joint is fluid first.

Repeat for the other lead.  Don't worry about wrecking a $.03 resistor, save the $10 pcb..!  You can even clip the part out first and then remove the leads. 

Then when the part is out, wick the holes.

It's a little awkward at first, but much easier in the end.  Also make sure your iron isn't too hot, pads will lift a lot quicker that way no matter what you do. 
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

PhiloB

Part of the issue is my iron.  I got it from Home Depot.  It is an 18watt iron that is "equivalent to a 40W iron".  Not sure what that means but I do know that it gets a little too hot.  I am careful and haven't had but a couple issues, both related to desoldering and lifted pads.
Need to resist buying new parts for pedals and save my pennies for a decent adjustable one.