News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding bypass switch to Behringer mic100 preamp

Started by jetblackelectrics, August 18, 2014, 02:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetblackelectrics

Hi guys

I have and use a Behringer Mic100 preamp. I use it to overdrive my live vocals, and it works great.

I know...behringer....but it works, and i am actually thinking of rehousing it :-)

But it is missing a bypass switch for when i want to turn it on and off between songs. Do you guy know how to add a footswitch to the preamp?

I googled but i only found a way to add a on off switch directly the pcb and that won't work because i am looking to bypass it so the signal still runs through to my
Mic.

Hope you guys can help.
Kind regards
/Andreas

Willybomb

I'd just use the standard wiring diagram found here.

jimilee

You'd have to rehouse it to put a stomp on it anyway, then the standard diagram will work. Just think of it as a stomp box that's always on. Reposition the wires from the in and out, shouldn't be a problem.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

twin1965

Why don't you leave it in its enclosure and use a true bypass switcher? This would have effect in/out sockets where you plug the preamp and signal in/out.

Like this: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/LooperNoLED_sml.gif

It's another box but saves you doing the rehouse.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jetblackelectrics

Thanks guys!
I have looked into building a loop with a switch. That would be the easiest choice by far, but that would require the signal from my microphone to be a mix of regular jacks and xlr inputs.
And i can't quite figure out if that is a bad thing when i am going to use the preamp in a live situation. Wouldn't want to upset any soundguy or have unwanted noise :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetblackelectrics

Also found this layout:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobA

Quote from: jetblackelectrics on August 20, 2014, 08:37:11 AM
Thanks guys!
I have looked into building a loop with a switch. That would be the easiest choice by far, but that would require the signal from my microphone to be a mix of regular jacks and xlr inputs.
And i can't quite figure out if that is a bad thing when i am going to use the preamp in a live situation. Wouldn't want to upset any soundguy or have unwanted noise :-)
Aren't the 1/4" jacks on the mic pre TRS jacks? I think it's set up to take a guitar input, but I thought it was still going to output a balanced out on either the XLR or the TRS.

Since you are using this for a mic, I'd think you could use either the XLR or the TRS jacks, but it would be best to keep a balanced signal path. I think that's going to mean either going with some type of active setup, a couple of baluns, or using a 4PDT footswitch. With the 4PDT, you could probably get an indicator LED worked in there by using a Millennium bypass circuit, but I think you'd want to add in a big cap in series with the audio and a resistor to ground to block any possible DC going back to the mic and to reduce popping.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

oldhousescott

I believe you'll want some active solution, as passive switching will likely result in popping in the signal. Not cheap, but something like the Whirlwind SelectorXL would work, provided you have an extra input on your mixer.

jimilee

Stomp is definitely the way to go. I think a looper, unless you built a paramix, would be too much, but for quality audio, the 4pdt would be ideal.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.