Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CD player X mp3 player, different output sound

Started by Gledison, August 14, 2014, 05:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey Guys,
im intrigued with a new problem.
when i play a CD player through my band's mixer in order to hear the song through the PAs everything is ok. But when i use an ipad or iphone player, it sounds like some filtering is happening. Sometimes i can hear just the backing vocals of a song for example.
im using the same cable, just switching the ipod or iphone X CD player..
any clue of what is happening?
thanks a lot in adnvace
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mmlee

Try another cable anyway.  What kind of CD player is it? Would expect RCA connectors.
>Marcus

rullywowr

So you are using a 3.5mm stereo to RCA?  Or xlr?  Your pa is setup for stereo?  Or mono? 

Sounds like a phasing issue to me. One of your connections is inverted phase and canceling out the other channel.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

mmlee

>Marcus

Gledison

Hey guys.
first of all thanks for helping.
so, it happen with the same track.
yes, it is a 3,5mm with an adapter to RCA.
rullywowr: the phase inversion, you mean on the RCA cable? like ground on output and vice versa? :P

gordo

Headphone output on the iPad/Phone maybe overdriving the board inputs?  Does sound like a phasing problem though.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Cord may not be fitting properly in to the iPad also, the newer one are shaped a bit oddly to where it won't go down all the way.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gledison

Quote from: jimilee on August 15, 2014, 12:10:37 AM
Cord may not be fitting properly in to the iPad also, the newer one are shaped a bit oddly to where it won't go down all the way.
Hi jimmi,
this weekend i will work on the variables, like cables, adaptors etc..
you might be right, because this problem is happening most of the time, but not All the time.
Cheers

twin1965

I think jimi is right. You'll need to use a cable with a slim line 3.5mm jack. Like this: http://images.esellerpro.com/2485/I/573/6/2TTS-01WHTa.jpg.

Regular ones don't tend to go in properly on some tablets and mobile phones.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

RobA

Alignment and getting the jack all the way in is critical on the iPhone and other phones and tablets. They usually use a TRRS jack with the sleeve section of the standard TRS jack divided with another ring section to carry the mic signal. Since those things are so small, if you don't have it all the way in, you can have part of your right channel sitting on the ground and/or the ground not making complete contact.

There's also some active sensing that Apple does on the mic line for running controls from the headset things. I did some playing with early versions of the iPad as an effects device and sometimes clicks or hard picking would flip the state the audio system was in and cause it to do weird things. I'd guess that probably isn't your problem, but if you aren't all the way in on the jack, then static or bouncing on the plug might do some strange stuff.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

davent

Not familiar with the ipad or iphone but for my ipod i have a dock and another adapter that give you a lineout signal as opposed to using the headphone jack for playback to a stereo or better headphone amp. Both were only a few dollars from various Asian sources. (Line Out Dock Cable)

Good article here.

http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

RobA

Quote from: davent on August 15, 2014, 04:13:15 PM
Not familiar with the ipad or iphone but for my ipod i have a dock and another adapter that give you a lineout signal as opposed to using the headphone jack for playback to a stereo or better headphone amp. Both were only a few dollars from various Asian sources. (Line Out Dock Cable)

Good article here.

http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/
The situation with the iPads and iPhones is similar to what you describe with your iPod. It's even more of an issue with the new connectors because there isn't a straight up line out anymore. If you want HiFi sound out of them now, you need to go digital into an external DAC and then to your stereo.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Gledison

Great idea guys! The only thing is how to get relatively cheap Apple plugs? :(

Thanks

RobA

Quote from: Gledison on August 15, 2014, 06:17:54 PM
Great idea guys! The only thing is how to get relatively cheap Apple plugs? :(

Thanks
Which devices do you have and what connectors are on them?

Does the audio have to be HiFi or do you just want it good enough to practice with?