News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help filling up Sweetwater shopping cart

Started by culturejam, August 14, 2014, 01:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Can you buy a gift card to add to the total? Save it to go toward something later.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

RobA

Quote from: jubal81 on August 14, 2014, 05:59:39 AM
Can you buy a gift card to add to the total? Save it to go toward something later.
That's entirely too practical ;).
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

If you have a Lovetone build with the expression jacks, high impedance volume pedals work very well as controllers :) (TS cable from the pedal's Out jack to the effect's expression jack.)

Controlling the rate on the Doppelganger is more fun than you'd think it would be :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mmlee

Maybe some mics other than dynamics?
SE Electronics SE X1R - a very affordable ribbon
A large diaphragm condenser like a AT2020/AT2035?

Maybe a nice DI like one of the Radials? A re-amp box for when you can't be arsed to get it right at source.....?

>Marcus

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

flanagan0718

These are awesome! The guy from Muse put one in a guitar. Always wanted to do that.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KPQuad/

pickdropper

Quote from: RobA on August 14, 2014, 05:55:30 AM
Quote from: hoodoo on August 14, 2014, 05:38:30 AM
Ukulele  :) seem to be popular these days. If you are looking at the TC helicon stuff, i've got a harmony singer that is great, as long as you play the right chords and sing in tune, that is  ;)
My son has one of the Yamaha Guitalele things. Its build quality is a bit suspect as is its intonation, but it is fun and I find myself grabbing it to just fiddle with all the time.

I'd love to get a cheap but good mandolin. There are plenty of them out there in the $100-$200 range, but I have no idea if any of them are even useful as an instrument.

I went through the cheap mandolin thing about 10 years ago.  I tried a bunch of them and most of them felt pretty cheap to me.  Somehow worse than cheap guitars, but it's been a while, so maybe things are better now.

In the end, I waited a bit and picked up the cheapest used A style Weber I could find (about $350 if I remember correctly) and I felt it was a considerably nicer instrument.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Honestly, if it were me, I'd get even more strings, because I know I'd use them eventually and, if I had less than 5 capos, a capo because those stupid things get lost more than picks. But I get coated strings, so dropping $100 on them for multiple instruments isn't difficult and happens probably twice a year.

I'm surprised you don't have a volume pedal, but buying something new that you can get dirt cheap used just seems like a pointless way to get to $100 extra in your cart. Buy stuff that you can't get all day every day on the forums.

culturejam

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Ended up going with the TC Helicon VoiceTone Harmony-G XT. Seems fairly easy to use, and it has all the kinds of help that I desperately need for vocal performance.

I'll give a review once I get it and have some time to much around with it.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

RobA

Quote from: pickdropper on August 14, 2014, 12:29:37 PM
Quote from: RobA on August 14, 2014, 05:55:30 AM
I'd love to get a cheap but good mandolin. There are plenty of them out there in the $100-$200 range, but I have no idea if any of them are even useful as an instrument.

I went through the cheap mandolin thing about 10 years ago.  I tried a bunch of them and most of them felt pretty cheap to me.  Somehow worse than cheap guitars, but it's been a while, so maybe things are better now.

In the end, I waited a bit and picked up the cheapest used A style Weber I could find (about $350 if I remember correctly) and I felt it was a considerably nicer instrument.
From the few cheapies I've tried in the shops, I'd say it hasn't gotten any better. Holding out to find a good one is probably sage advice. As popular as bluegrass is around here, I'd expect to see more used mandos in the shops, but they don't seem to come up all that often. One's sure to come up eventually though.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

culturejam

Oh, and to add to the discussion: I have a cheap mandolin, too.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Alaboogie

Quote from: pickdropper on August 14, 2014, 04:08:32 AM
Actually, a volume pedal would be really useful.

Do they carry Vertex?

Not to derail this thread but a side note, Vertex is the new klon on tgp boards. Someone posted gut shots of the axis wah which ended up being a rehoused bbe wah, no effort in switching anything out apparently. They just put goop and threw em in the new housing. Now everyone is hating on vertex...I myself couldn't see myself buying a $300 wah anyway 😔.

rullywowr

Quote from: culturejam on August 14, 2014, 01:58:58 PM

Ended up going with the TC Helicon VoiceTone Harmony-G XT. Seems fairly easy to use, and it has all the kinds of help that I desperately need for vocal performance.

Awesome choice. I have one and it's really a lot of fun to use. I suggest to ensure your firmware is up to date and try it with both the "auto tune" on and off.  Great times - especially playing acoustic.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

Quote from: culturejam on August 14, 2014, 01:58:58 PM

You had me reading on them most of last night. I await your opinion on it when you get it. I may jump on such a box also.

Cody

pickdropper

Quote from: Alaboogie on August 14, 2014, 07:17:15 PM

Quote from: pickdropper on August 14, 2014, 04:08:32 AM
Actually, a volume pedal would be really useful.

Do they carry Vertex?

Not to derail this thread but a side note, Vertex is the new klon on tgp boards. Someone posted gut shots of the axis wah which ended up being a rehoused bbe wah, no effort in switching anything out apparently. They just put goop and threw em in the new housing. Now everyone is hating on vertex...I myself couldn't see myself buying a $300 wah anyway 😔.

Yeah, I was basically joking around about it.      In addition the wah being a BBE, the volume pedal appears to be a Boss that just has one of the PCBs removed.

Odd things are afoot (or underfoot in this case).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper