News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD: Cali76 compressor

Started by jubal81, August 13, 2014, 05:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I haven't bought a pedal in years and the demos for the 'Urei 1176 in a stomp box' made this thing sound irresistible and now it's in my house.

I've played with it for about 4 hours and have to declare: Hype deserved. It's huge and expensive, but the tone and performance is amazing.

Early observations:
It's HUGE! I included a pic with a 1590b for scale. I mean, I knew it was big, but I didn't know it was going to be BIIIGG.

The input 'buffer' has quite a bit of gain and lots of color. It came in buffered bypass mode and it was immediately obvious this wasn't my normal bypass tone. I moved the jumpers to go to true bypass since I need to test other pedals.

It's not completely silent like my favorite optical compressor, but it's close - not anything like OTA comp noise.

Headroom isn't as high as I would like, even running it at 18V. Being able to adjust the input gain is nice. When I was taking the gut shot pic I moved the gain reduction jumper over one space, so I'll see what that does.

It's got a blue 3PDT in there, which I don't like at all. I won't be turning it off much, so what's the difference, right?

I think I counted 34 transistors - 4 SMD. Lots of BC547 and that top row of 2n7000 is all for the LED light show. Build quality is excellent - all metal film resistors and Kemet caps.

SO, you gonna trace that thing, buddy?
Duh, of course - when I can do without it long enough to take it apart ...
There are some test points around the board and you can see it's a monster, so I'm not promising any results.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Govmnt_Lacky

Jason... your review seems kind of ironical.

You start by saying that you enjoy the pedal and the hype is deserved... then you follow that up with 5-6 complaints about it  ???

Just an observation but... as long as you are happy... Money well spent brother!!  ;)

Leevibe

That looks/sounds seriously impressive. Serial number on the front is cool. Looking forward to hearing more about this as you move past the honeymoon.

midwayfair

Looks great.

Pretty sure you don't need to do a bunch of work tracing it, though -- the Urei 1176 schematic is pretty easy to find. :)

jubal81

Quote from: midwayfair on August 13, 2014, 06:07:44 PM
Looks great.

Pretty sure you don't need to do a bunch of work tracing it, though -- the Urei 1176 schematic is pretty easy to find. :)

Aha. Exactly. I'm curious where it deviates!

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 13, 2014, 06:02:26 PM
Jason... your review seems kind of ironical.

You start by saying that you enjoy the pedal and the hype is deserved... then you follow that up with 5-6 complaints about it  ???

Just an observation but... as long as you are happy... Money well spent brother!!  ;)

Gotta try to evaluate it from a builder's perspective and get my criticisms out there. World didn't need another fanboi post on this thing. It really is a whole different animal from anything I've bought, built or breadboarded.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GrindCustoms

Pretty sure that set at 20:1 you just need to think of what you want to play and the notes explode in your amp! :o

Always nice to have the review of a DIYer on products that are hyped. It confirms that i want one. hahaha.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

lincolnic

Quote from: jubal81 on August 13, 2014, 06:17:31 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on August 13, 2014, 06:07:44 PM
Looks great.

Aha. Exactly. I'm curious where it deviates!

Let us know what you learn - I'd be really curious to find out how it's different from an actual 1176 myself.

jubal81

Sigh. The switch pop is really terrible. I really don't want to mod this thing, but it's bad enough that I think something has to be done.
- David Fair

juansolo

When I see a really nice looking effect like that and see a 3PDT in there, it makes me sad.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jubal81 on August 17, 2014, 04:16:54 PM
Sigh. The switch pop is really terrible. I really don't want to mod this thing, but it's bad enough that I think something has to be done.

Oh yeah! That's sad. :-\

Have you sent an email to OriginFX about it?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

midwayfair

You could leave the switch wires intact and replace the whole 3PDT with an optotron. If you ever sell it, just solder the wires back in.

Govmnt_Lacky

Is the POP heard in the audio? OR, is it just the mechanical pop that is driving you nuts?

jubal81

Quote from: midwayfair on August 17, 2014, 07:04:56 PM
You could leave the switch wires intact and replace the whole 3PDT with an optotron. If you ever sell it, just solder the wires back in.

Good call, I think that might be in my future.

@G_Lackey: It's in the audio signal. Builds up over time and after playing for a while gets load as balls.
- David Fair

jubal81

OK, I have to take back what I said about this pedal being a popper. There was an issue with the buffer/booster at the beginning of my chain. After some experimenting I got it worked out and the Cali76 is a silent switcher.  :-[
- David Fair

eldanko

I actually picked up one of these things a few months ago. I really didn't want to like it - particularly because of its size and the amount of board real estate required - but it really is that good. One of those pedals where you'd blissfully forget that it was even on until you turned it off and realized just how much it was improving things. I'm really bad at describing it other than that everything is simply more pleasing to the ear when it's on.

Try it on acoustic as well. It's killer.

It's earned a spot on at least one of the boards I'm putting together for an upcoming tour:
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense