News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bias the Mangler on or off?

Started by mcallisterra, August 11, 2014, 02:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

I'm trying to bias the Mangler I just built, but should I do it with the effect on or off? With the effect 'on', I set it near 4.5 and it wanders a bit, generally increasing up to around 4.7 if I watch it. But then i turn the effect off and it sits around 4.3 steadily. I'm thinking you bias it with the effect engaged right?

Is that 'wandering' normal?

mgwhit

I can't tell you if the wandering is normal because I've always just biased my fuzz face with the effect bypassed.  The bypass state really shouldn't affect DC on the Q2 collector, but if it's actively amplifying signal I can see where it might be tough to get a good reading.  Anyway, the -4.5V is just a recommendation.  Get it somewhere in that area where it sounds best to you.  Good luck!

midwayfair

I'm guessing that hitting the bypass switch creates a pop or lets in some noise, which then drags down the collector a little. In that case, the wandering might be normal.

mcallisterra

I left the pedal on for a while and checked it again and I got it to stabilize at around -4.5v with the effect on. It sounds fine though, not noticing any noise or pops so I'll leave it as-is I guess. Thanks guys!