News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

the gear nobody else seems to "get"

Started by Leevibe, August 11, 2014, 01:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

few people understand my affinity with the lovetone pedal line
I think its the combination of the un-obtainium (even when they were selling them, because at that time I couldnt afford them) the 70s style / huge boxes, chunky controls and just awesome sounds.

some people really dont rate them though. idiots.... :p

Droogie

As mentioned above, I've owned a Peavey Bandit, and currently use a G&L Tele. Another line that gets overlooked somewhat is Music Man amps—I've seen any number of them in use for small gigs in NYC.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on August 12, 2014, 04:15:42 PM
I think its the combination of the un-obtainium (even when they were selling them, because at that time I couldnt afford them) the 70s style / huge boxes, chunky controls and just awesome sounds.

I gotta say i'm one of those people :-[ been trying to see what the fascination was, assuming it was just the flexibility.
Works at Lectric-FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on August 12, 2014, 06:43:44 PM
... been trying to see what the fascination was, assuming it was just the flexibility.

I was under the same impression. Until I took the plunge and built one. It all started with the Flanger. Although not as deep as the MXR, it is THEE most versitile flanger I have ever played. Then, I went to the Meatball. I wanted to build the Meat Sphere but, since it was out of stock for months I decided to do my own. BEST filter pedal I have ever played! This led me to my current projects and I never looked back!  ;)

Droogie

Agree—the Meatball is very deep. I've spent hours finding different sounds in that bad boy!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

LaceSensor

Quote from: Scruffie on August 12, 2014, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on August 12, 2014, 04:15:42 PM

I gotta say i'm one of those people :-[ been trying to see what the fascination was, assuming it was just the flexibility.

I think I liked the humorous nomenclature, esoteric sounds, the fact they're hand made in England was a big draw too. I can see why people prefer other fuzzes or overdrives, but the ringstinger, flanger, doppelgänger do stuff nothing else seems to, and the wobulator is so phat in stereo, plus the dual Trem is really a deal maker.

jtn191

I'm a fan of Lovetone even though I've never played one. I'm just not really a fan of any of those effects besides tremolo...if only they made a delay, compressor, or spring reverb...

jubal81

Another thing I don't see a lot of builds for is the Bloviator. That's a great little circuit - an always-on at the end of my chain.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

muddyfox

you mean the "blovaitor", as the 2014 builddoc is titled? :)))

LaceSensor

Quote from: jtn191 on August 13, 2014, 02:18:20 AM
I'm a fan of Lovetone even though I've never played one. I'm just not really a fan of any of those effects besides tremolo...if only they made a delay, compressor, or spring reverb...

I think a Lovetone delay would have been excellent

Dinosaural (run by Dan Coggins, who designed all the lovetone effects) has released an optical compressor. It really is terrific, you should check it out. As per Lovetone, they only deal direct, and are often on a waiting list.
The topology was different to any compressor I have seen before, including dual vactrol setup... Buffered or true bypass too.

From the man himself "I use two Vactrols in parallel, one driven by one half of the signal and vice-versa to get full wave rectification with a compound release characteristic"

Ian

Leevibe

Quote from: jubal81 on August 13, 2014, 07:29:01 AM
Another thing I don't see a lot of builds for is the Bloviator. That's a great little circuit - an always-on at the end of my chain.

Agreed. I built one for a friend a couple years ago and it's fantastic. I'm still using the BBE but will eventually replace it with the bloviator in the interest of space savings. 80% of the time, the BBE is on 100% of the time! :)

Morgan

Quote from: Leevibe on August 13, 2014, 04:02:08 PM

Agreed. I built one for a friend a couple years ago and it's fantastic. I'm still using the BBE but will eventually replace it with the bloviator in the interest of space savings. 80% of the time, the BBE is on 100% of the time! :)
Interesting. You guys ever run vocals or anything else through the bloviator?

I'm considering building a bloviator/optical compressor combo as a sort of 'polisher' to splice into the mixing board effects loop when needed for those weird-o rooms that make everything sound boxy.
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Morgan on August 13, 2014, 05:03:09 PM

I'm considering building a bloviator/optical compressor combo as a sort of 'polisher' to splice into the mixing board effects loop when needed for those weird-o rooms that make everything sound boxy.

I used to have one of the earlier 2 channel sonic maximizer with line level in and out aswell as instrument level in/outs.

It worked excellent in some crappy basement gigs to have some sort «air» happening.
Pretty sure it would give you the goods.

I also have 2 Bloviator made with the older etched layout. Very legit to the original it's based on.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Leevibe

Quote from: Morgan on August 13, 2014, 05:03:09 PM

That sounds like a genius combination. You should consider adding a loop between the two effects so you could route them in any order or insert between them.

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.