News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Replacing Tuning Heads.....

Started by peAk, August 08, 2014, 10:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

I just recently purchased a MIM Fender Jazz Bass and I am in the process of replacing everything on it.

I just received some Grover tuning heads for it and it looks like the mounting hole pattern is a tad bit smaller than the ones currently on there.

Just curious what's the best way to deal with this? The holes look close enough (haven't actually removed the heads yet) that the new holes might merge/cut into old ones.

Also looks like the old holes might not be covered up by the mounting plate. So would like a solution that would be both functional as well as aesthetically pleasing

bela1961

Use thin super glue and maple (I'm assuming the head stock is maple) dust , shavings or any light colored wood. I use bone dust from making nuts and saddles. Pack the hole with the dust, use a toothpick to get it in there. When you've filled it about half way add a couple drops of the THIN super glue, this stuff will wick in. Let it set up a bit, then fill the rest and add more glue. Let the glue dry over night. The stuff contracts, so you might have to add a little more glue, get it so it sits slightly above the surface of the head stock. Once its dry, wet sand with 320 and a block to keep things square ( make a small block and just hold the paper to it, doesn't take much). The hole will be slightly darker than the surrounding wood but it wont matter, you'll never see it. Mark and carefully drill your new holes. 

peAk

Quote from: bela1961 on August 08, 2014, 11:56:37 PM
Use thin super glue and maple (I'm assuming the head stock is maple) dust , shavings or any light colored wood. I use bone dust from making nuts and saddles. Pack the hole with the dust, use a toothpick to get it in there. When you've filled it about half way add a couple drops of the THIN super glue, this stuff will wick in. Let it set up a bit, then fill the rest and add more glue. Let the glue dry over night. The stuff contracts, so you might have to add a little more glue, get it so it sits slightly above the surface of the head stock. Once its dry, wet sand with 320 and a block to keep things square ( make a small block and just hold the paper to it, doesn't take much). The hole will be slightly darker than the surrounding wood but it wont matter, you'll never see it. Mark and carefully drill your new holes.

Awesome. It is a maple neck so what the easiest/best way to get maple shavings? Probably a stupid question but I don't have much (any) woodworking experience.

atreidesheir

It is not difficult.  Just be tidy with the glue and it will turn out fine.  I use toothpicks with maple necks.  same glue.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

peAk