News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I'm not an audiophile, but...

Started by alanp, August 08, 2014, 07:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Quote from: juansolo on August 09, 2014, 07:14:48 AM
- Musical Fidelity stuff still sounds awesome, head and shoulders above everything there. Makes me regret selling the amp I had and has me musing very bad things again...
Glad to hear that. I've got a Musical Fidelity amp that was the second amp I ever bought and I seriously expect it to be the last I ever do. It sounds great and is probably the most solid thing I own.

I stream everything from my computer now, but for the things I care about, I've ripped them from CD with a lossless compression format. Big hard drives are cheap.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

davent

I would say the balance around here in the record shops is new vinyl is overtaking the amount of space devoted to new CD's, i'm even seeing new releases on cassette in a least one shop i visit. The prices on some of that new vinyl can be quite frightening.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

I've still got quite a bit of if hifi gear around, even though I haven't purchased anything in a number of years.  I do still like my turntable, but I have an awful lot of records from many years back, so it pays to have something nice.  At the time I bought it, it was worth more than my car (which admittedly wasn't worth all that much).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Quote from: alanp on August 09, 2014, 05:02:52 AM

Alan do you know enough about the woofer that you could just replace the two woofers with the same Scan Speak model?

It's just the one woofer that is blown, I'll pull it and see if I can find a replacement on ebay, that's a great idea :D

Glad to hear that SOMEONE else has heard of Sound Dynamics, I was starting to think they were a better type of Asian speaker. They've served me well!

If i could hear in stereo, i'd be concerned that a new stiff hard speaker, even in that it's suppose to match identically the parameters of the old woofer, would result in a shifting of the stereo image and other anomalies due to the mismatch that is a result of time and wear on the old woofer. And no guarantee that time and wear on the new woofer would result in an ideal match to the old. My supposition in any case.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lincolnic

Quote from: davent on August 09, 2014, 08:24:00 PM
If i could hear in stereo, i'd be concerned that a new stiff hard speaker, even in that it's suppose to match identically the parameters of the old woofer, would result in a shifting of the stereo image and other anomalies do to the mismatch that is a result of time and wear on the old woofer. And no guarantee that time and wear on the new woofer would result in an ideal match to the old. My supposition in any case.
dave

I hear you and my instinct would be to think the same thing, I don't think this is actually too much of a concern. At my studio, when a woofer or tweeter gets blown in one of our monitors, we replace it. We don't replace them in pairs, but no one's complained about any mismatches yet.

davent

Yeeeah, thinking back.. way back, left house sitting for the first time while my parents holidayed for a few weeks, blew a woofer in one of my dad's nice Dynaco speakers, propped in a window so we could hear things properly while we swam in the pool, Black Sabbath IV last lp in the stack on the turntable... just too much for the speaker! Had the speaker into the shop, woofer replaced and home before their holiday was over... i did fess up. Don't recall any sonic ill effects...

Twenty years on visiting my parents, sitting around the pool with the extended families and some jerk in the house behind is blasting some Ozzie comp, what an ass!
dave

lincolnic

Quote from: davent on August 10, 2014, 03:06:02 AM
Yeeeah, thinking back.. way back, left house sitting for the first time while my parents holidayed for a few weeks, blew a woofer in one of my dad's nice Dynaco speakers, propped in a window so we could hear things properly while we swam in the pool, Black Sabbath IV last lp in the stack on the turntable... just too much for the speaker! Had the speaker into the shop, woofer replaced and home before their holiday was over... i did fess up. Don't recall any sonic ill effects...

Twenty years on visiting my parents, sitting around the pool with the extended families and some jerk in the house behind is blasting some Ozzie comp, what an ass!
dave

Truly, what goes around, comes around! Sounds like a pretty good time, all in all.

davent

May the circle be unbroken... I thought it was quite amusing, my neighbours were saints... or maybe they were all at work during the day while we were out there disturbing the peace, in any case i was never made aware whether there were complaints upon my parents return. So glad i haven't had a teenage-me as a neighbour, touch wood!  Maybe i haven't changed my wife will arrive home some days and it's, "You know you can hear that guitar at the corner!" Oops "just testing things out at the proper volume".

alanp

Pulled the bad speaker, no brand markings on it :( just a small label with the following:

5DR 61051
9-6009/046
6ohms 3096213

no other writing on it. It's 8", 6ohm, spec says "One - 8" (20cm) Injection Molded Cone with Foam Surrounds". Rating for the whole cab is 20-100Wrms.

Anyone got any clue, or an ebay link for a replacement?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

Quote from: alanp on August 10, 2014, 04:26:05 AM
Pulled the bad speaker, no brand markings on it :( just a small label with the following:

5DR 61051
9-6009/046
6ohms 3096213

no other writing on it. It's 8", 6ohm, spec says "One - 8" (20cm) Injection Molded Cone with Foam Surrounds". Rating for the whole cab is 20-100Wrms.

Anyone got any clue, or an ebay link for a replacement?

Any way to contact the company and ask?

alanp

I'll have to have a google sesh later, haven't managed to find anything on Sound Dynamics up to now.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

A bit of googling shows that Sound Dynamics was owned by API Corp. in Canada, and API was bought by Klipsch in 2006 (I only know that Klipsch make those gigantic Klipschorn speakers.)

So, I've contacted Klipsch. It's a long shot, but if you don't ask you never get.

Think I'd better start saving up for new speakers, might be easier.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

I've just managed to snag myself a dedicated CD player (saves me playing them through the PS3 or pikey cheap Blu-Ray player I have). Nice Pro-ject CD Box DS for a very nice price. Actually looking forward to spending time listening to CDs again.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

davent

Alan have you queried any of the hifi forums, should have a much more attuned user base for the info you're searching for. Audiokarma has proven useful in the past, maybe diyaudio.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27
http://www.diyaudio.com/
dave