News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The important difference between "I have a show" and "yay OMG exciting show!"

Started by midwayfair, August 08, 2014, 02:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

My band's had a few gigs in the past where my feeling running up was pretty much "We have this show. It will be good. Yay." Whereas the one we've got tonight is basically, "I would make plans weeks in advance to go to this show even if I wasn't playing." It's not at an "important" venue (meaning it's just a good local music place, not some "checkmark" on the resume), the pay is likely to be bad, and I have no idea what attendance will be like. It's not a release show, or really for any special occasion. It's all down to the people we're playing with in a place I feel really comfortable playing.

I've had plenty of shows where we got paid decent money for playing in a venue I don't like much. Or shows where I loved the venue but wasn't excited about the other bands on the bill.

It's just nice when something comes together exactly how you want it. I wish I could do a show like this five nights a week.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

jtn191

Nice, my favorite shows in college were one's where a bunch of my friends played at small restaurants and the audience was our mutual friends. Best memories

jimilee

Quote from: jtn191 on August 11, 2014, 03:16:12 AM
Nice, my favorite shows in college were one's where a bunch of my friends played at small restaurants and the audience was our mutual friends. Best memories
Oh yeah.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lars

Best show I ever played was at a friend's house with a whole bunch of our friends in attendance. We still had lights, stage, everything like at a bigger show, but something about the tone from the drums and our amps, it all just fell into place. It's all about the atmosphere and feel.

Blues Healer

I'm a fan of your playing, since you play finger style, like I do ... your songs are interesting, and your pedal designs are killer.

So, break a leg!

... and get some soundboard capture for us! :D
"music heals"

blearyeyes

Most memorable for me was playing the Newport Pop Festival in 1968. Iron Butterfly, Country Joe and the Fish, Blue Cheer, first time I heard smoke on the water...tons more. Scared me half to death, a half a mile of people. Missed it by one year as Hendrix played it in 1969. 

Also opened for Strawberry Alarm Clock. I blew up some speakers in the guitar players Vox Super Beatles. Hey just tryin to get them to distort man...sheesh. Insense and peppermints blah blah blah blaaaah....buzz.

Worst gig was a club in Lompoc CA. Audience were all from the air force base. No women just guys. All drinking themselves out of misery. Not one clap, response or even a boo... Just dead silence after every song.... Sorta like beating your head on a brick wall.
Got plenty more stories to blather on about ..... But not to bore
you..

I am also a big fan of Jon's music, there is one EP he did with a friend that is really awesome. Don't remember the name. Great music.