News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Memory Man idea

Started by LaceSensor, August 07, 2014, 11:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi Guys

Has anyone ever tried putting 4 x MN3005 in a Deluxe Memory Man (big box reissue)
The reason I ask is that the 2 x MN3005 are becoming hard to get and expensive
the 4 x MN3008 are more prevalent. Plus it got me thinking, you could make it like 800ms or more of delay with the chips.
Conveniently I have the chips.

As proof of concept somewhat, I understand the only difference in the XO DMM TT 1100 and 550 are the chips, so they should be totally interchangeable. Just dont know if anyone did it with a big box.

Thanks

Ian

teknoman2

1100 ms probably using two clocks mn3101 (2x 8192 stages) vs the 550ms which is using one clock mn3101 (8192 stages)
I am just guessing, according to the datasheets you must have the same or more stages on clock for best performance.

LaceSensor

did a bit of reading it seems via Analogman that the mod was once offered, albeit expensive
I guess I would worry about calibration also, given the nature of the twice as many calibration points issue

culturejam

I haven't tried it, but I do want to get a 3005 for my XO DMM to push the max time a bit further.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lars

You're on the right track, in fact, EHX already issued a version of their deluxe memory man with a 4xMN3008 configuration, so it definitely can be done. I believe these were the later big box reissues, once the supply of NOS MN3005's dried up.

rullywowr

Totally cool info.  I'm lucky enough to have a 1100ms DMM/wTT.  I love the flexibility of the unit and great sounds.  The "Memory Boy" just sucked IMO.  Had one of those and got rid of it because the tone was awful.

Kinda kicking my own ass because I had two of the 1100ms but sold one a year or so back when I needed some money.  They seem to be going for over 1k on eBay if you can find them.   :o

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Scruffie

The 4047 datasheet isn't exactly helpful but I wonder if the 4047 can really drive 4 x 3005 properly without help, I know analogman had the mod but that's 11.2nF of clock pin capacitance it has to drive, I would think the clock waveforms would start to round off so lower delay times especially might not sound as good as they should.

Some gut shots of the DMM 1100mS to determine if any buffering was used on the clock lines would be helpful.

And yeah... calibrating that is going to suck without a scope, I don't know much about them but maybe one of those scope apps or USB scopes would be enough though, I think they're quite cheap.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

ITs all moot as I dont have one yet. Its nice to know that if I got the 4 x 3008 one as in the pics I could turn it into a 2 x 3005 quite readily.

pickdropper

Brian's next gen dirtbag is going to do 4xMN3008.  I kind of have my doubts about using all MN3005s, but I'll defer to Scruffy on that one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

LaceSensor

Quote from: pickdropper on August 07, 2014, 05:54:07 PM
Brian's next gen dirtbag is going to do 4xMN3008.  I kind of have my doubts about using all MN3005s, but I'll defer to Scruffy on that one.

it would be nice to have the option like the EH for 2 or 4 chips

I appreciate the DIY aspect of all that too, having built a couple v1 Dirtbags but I am gassing for a real big box

pickdropper

Quote from: LaceSensor on August 07, 2014, 06:05:11 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on August 07, 2014, 05:54:07 PM

it would be nice to have the option like the EH for 2 or 4 chips

I appreciate the DIY aspect of all that too, having built a couple v1 Dirtbags but I am gassing for a real big box

Totally understood.  Can't stop the gas.
  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper