News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Roland JC amps with pedals

Started by claytushaywood, August 04, 2014, 05:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I tried posting this in general discussion but tap a talk aint letting me.  I need a new amp for stage volume and i figured here would be a great place to ask my question.

Been lookin at jc120s because theyre cheap on the used market, loud and have stereo capabilities.  Stereo isnt nessesary but a nice addition.

I was wondering how well these amps work with amp in the box style pedals?  And pedals in general.  Ive loved my blackface 65 and my ampeg amp in box pedals and having a good platform for those would be killer! 

What do u guys think about these ampa with pedala versus a twin reverb or similar tube amp?

I ask because ive heard they dont do fuzz well... maybe amp in box pedal at 18v vould fix that?

Thanks!

gordo

I had a JC back in the late 70's and they were great for pedals.  I wish I still had it. Keep in mind that the stereo bit requires two mics if you want to get that sound out to the house via the PA.  Not so if you're running mostly stage volume and these amps are capable of some serious volume.  Reliablility is very good and even service is good, most techs will tell you they're very nice to work on.

Its a very clean slate to work from so you might find that overdrives and distortions may have a bit too much detail compared to a tube amp.  Still, a very cool setup and some of the coolest guitar tones I got were with a Les Paul, an original univibe, a Memory Man, a Dyna Comp, and a Boss OD-1.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

TGP39

I currently own one and everything Gordo said was spot on. Mine is also a 70's. This amp loves pedals/effects.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Guitarmatt

A while back I read up on various circuits used over the years in the JC amps and learned that at different points the preamp has been composed of discrete transistors or opamps. I believe the discrete versions are known for the classic JC sound over the opamp versions. If you buy used it would probably be worth being aware of the difference.

flanagan0718

I have an 80's JC120 and it plays nice with everything! Except my back when I have to move it;-)

midwayfair

The Runoff Groove designs are basically made to go into this sort of amp or directly into a console. The Azabache or Britannia would be great for this.