News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Finally making a parts order to stock my bench.

Started by ThePastRecedes, July 30, 2014, 09:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePastRecedes

Quote from: chromesphere on July 31, 2014, 12:57:02 AM
Hey ThePast, check out this thread I started a while back.  Might help you plan your purchase (of film caps)
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13277.0
Paul

Thanks for the link! I'll use it for my film caps.

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on July 31, 2014, 02:41:45 AM
I just did my first big mouser order about an hour ago. Doing the math on the price breaks, it made sense to go big.  Resistors are super cheap, so are diodes
Oh man I didn't even think about diodes.
I'm thinking some the following 1n4148, 1n4001, 1N914, 1N34?

Quote from: rullywowr on July 31, 2014, 01:02:34 AM
I recently shared a Mouser shopping cart with all ECQ-v panasonic film caps from 10n to 1uF. Search for "Panasonic" and the thread should come up on the forum.  I like the panasonics best, but Epcos or Kemet are good too. It's nice when they all match on a PCB....so keep that in mind.

It's great having a nicely organized stash of components....kind of like going into your kitchen and saying "what do I want to make today". 

I feel you are doing it right. If I had to do it all over I would order 90% of my components from Mouser.  Tayda is okay but at the price break points mouser is a better deal and higher quality for about the same money.   Nichicon, Kemet, xicon, panasonic, Epcos, are all good brands.

That's the thread that got me thinking. I just realized the amount of shipping I've spent on the last few pedal builds wasn't worth it.

Is there any reason you went for the EQC-V other than size? I've been using the film box type from tayda since I started and I've never had problems with them.

I build stuff for myself, sometimes I do 1 offs, I label them as HornBlende Audio.

ThePastRecedes

Heres a link for the resistors for any one who is planning to the same in the future or uses the search function.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=c8af66f422

I'll post the caps once I decide on which brands/models to get.
I build stuff for myself, sometimes I do 1 offs, I label them as HornBlende Audio.

rullywowr

Quote from: ThePastRecedes on July 31, 2014, 05:20:14 PM

Is there any reason you went for the EQC-V other than size? I've been using the film box type from tayda since I started and I've never had problems with them.

Mostly for reliability, aesthetics, sound, and the fact I know they are great caps. Sad they are soon to be discontinued. I have a bunch of Tayda caps and they are alright. Once in a while I will find a mislabeled Tayda cap, or a double stamped label. There also seems to be no continuity between the colors on Tayda.  It's awesome seeing a build with all ECQ-V and high quality electros. I still use my Tayda caps for verifying builds and other stuff- they have their place. However if you are starting up from scratch....check the prices of Tayda vs Ecq in quantity at mouser....almost a wash. 

It stands worth mentioning that Newark runs specials on Epcos box caps for 6c or about a pretty often.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

dont-tase-me-bro

What do you guys use for ceramic?  I like the ones small bear sells, but can't find them on mouser, or something similar.  A lot of the stuff I see on here with mouser, uses the multi layer.
I thought this would save me money.

m-Kresol

Did you order yet? If so, could you share the list for caps? I'm thinking about doing the same, as this is the cheaper option over time than ordering 10-20 resistors at a time and a few caps.... I have no clue if I ever will use that many parts though...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jubal81

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on August 02, 2014, 03:35:56 AM
What do you guys use for ceramic?  I like the ones small bear sells, but can't find them on mouser, or something similar.  A lot of the stuff I see on here with mouser, uses the multi layer.

They're pricey, but what you're looking for are MLCC that are COG temp. coefficient. I use them for anything under 1n.

Here's a link to some results
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

ThePastRecedes

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 14, 2014, 03:34:30 PM
Did you order yet?
I haven't got round to it yet. It ended up a little out my budget so I'll have to wait for my next pay check before I order.

I'll get some BOM up soon.

ThePastRecedes

flanagan0718

I've used them in a few builds. They're pretty good. Depending on the price difference I would just go for the panasonics

ThePastRecedes

Quote from: flanagan0718 on August 15, 2014, 02:35:47 AM
I've used them in a few builds. They're pretty good. Depending on the price difference I would just go for the panasonics

It's not huge, just pricing different brands to see if there's any major differences in price.

flanagan0718

I'd say order a few and try them out. I personally like the aesthetics o the Panasonic caps but these (IMO) work just as good.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: ThePastRecedes on August 15, 2014, 02:32:24 AM
I may order some nichicon film caps. They're a little cheaper. Anybody have experience with them? I think I've seen them in builds some where.

http://nichicon-us.com/english/products/pdfs/e-yx.pdf

http://ca.mouser.com/Nichicon/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Film-Capacitors/_/N-9x371?P=1z0zlbmZ1z0vn3uZ1z0vn48Z1z0vn47&Ns=Pricing%7c0

Nichicon brand electros are very good quality and offer a wide range of short up to 50V.

Most of the electro i use are Nichicons and Panasonic, most of them are 25-35V rating and are smaller than the Kemet box cap i use.

Panasonic also offer really good caps at good pricing, you'll either end up using Nichicon or Panasonic depending of the price/size/voltage you are shopping for. The quality vs convenience vs price can't be beaten.

TDK mlcc is what i use for everything under 1nf. pricey... but tight on tolerance compared to other ceramics where it can vary widely.

If you ever need to stash on odd resistors values and Xicon don't have them in 1%, look for KOA, they have them all and the price is very good too.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/