News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Checking LEDs with a DMM

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, July 26, 2014, 06:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I have 2 LEDs that are "in circuit" and when the circuit is turned on.... one of the LEDs is pretty bright and the other is quite a bit more dim.

I used my DMM to make sure the LEDs checked out and when I put the DMM in Diode check mode and properly biased the LEDs.... the results were the same. LED#1 was bright. LED#2 was dim. (The LEDs lit up when I tested with the DMM)

Im pretty sure that both LEDs came from Tayda so I am suspicious of their operation at the moment  ::)

Could this just be a matter of the "dim" LED being somewhat faulty or just that one is ultrabright and the other is not.

Both are Diffused Red LEDs.

Opinions??

jimilee

Can you touch the legs of another led to the dim one to see if it's dim also? I'm from the, " I wonder what would happen if" generation. :-D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

@jimi

I am fairly confident that the problem is with the LED itself. By testing it with the DMM I effectively removed all of the associated circuitry/components and just used the DMM. The fact that the bright LED was still bright and the dim LED was still dim suggests that the LED itself is to blame. It is just going to be a pain because I will need to disassemble the entire pedal to get it replaced  :-\ Its my Wobulator clone!!

Sounds AMAZING though even with the minor LED issue!  ;)

RobA

I've had a couple of dim LED's before and they weren't even of the Tayda variety. I think they're from a batch of Kingbright LED's I got from a major distributor. There were a couple of them that were dim out of a batch of a hundred or so.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Govmnt_Lacky

It was the LED. Replaced with another one and it looks GREAT!

Guess I have to start auditing LEDs now before installing  ::)