News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Re: GPCB Swaw help! FIXED

Started by jimilee, July 25, 2014, 03:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I'm officially stumped, I built the swaw and it wont quack.. I get clean signal, but there a nice little shock if I touch the pots and my strings.

TL074 pins

1-3.5

2-3.5

3-3.5

4-7.7

5-3.4

6-3.5

7-3.5

8-3.3

9-3.5

10-3.5

11-0

12-3.5

13-3.4

12-1.4

lm13700n

1-1.2

2-0

3-3.5

4-3.5

5-4.7

6-0

7-4.7

8-3.5

9-3.5

10-4.5

11-7.1

12-4.7

13-3.5

14-3.5

15-0

16-1.2

78l05

in-7.1

g-0

out-4.9

Q1

D-1.7

g-4.3

s-3.7

Q2

E-.6

b-4.9

c-4.9

Q3

E-1.2

B-.6

C-4.9

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Quote from: jimilee on July 25, 2014, 03:34:38 AM
I'm officially stumped, I built the swaw and it wont quack.. I get clean signal, but there a nice little shock if I touch the pots and my strings.

No clue, but something is seriously wrong if you're getting electric shocks.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

blearyeyes

Try cleaning up the external wire connections on the PCB just in case somehow one is getting shorted to the ground plane.

When you're testing are you using a battery or Power Supply?

blearyeyes

your voltage regulator is only seeing 7 volts, if its from a battery maybe the battery is kaput?

looks like your trying to run this puppy at 7v.
it might not run at 7v?

mgwhit

Why are you jumpering between IC3 and TR1 on the back of the board?

jimilee

Quote from: mgwhit on July 26, 2014, 02:35:20 AM
Why are you jumpering between IC3 and TR1 on the back of the board?
Error on the board, the notes on v3 point it out, it it's in the empty hole between tr1 and tr2 it grounds it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: blearyeyes on July 26, 2014, 01:57:42 AM
your voltage regulator is only seeing 7 volts, if its from a battery maybe the battery is kaput?

looks like your trying to run this puppy at 7v.
it might not run at 7v?
It's a regulated 9v power supply.

gordo

Got a working board if you want it.  You could trouble shoot from it and end up with two of them.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mgwhit

Quote from: jimilee on July 26, 2014, 03:32:14 AM
Error on the board, the notes on v3 point it out, it it's in the empty hole between tr1 and tr2 it grounds it.

Okay, thanks.  Just found that on the GPCB Forum.  It wasn't in the PDF I downloaded (or the schematic).

It's weird that you're getting 7.1V on your regulator and ICs.  Test your voltage either side of D4 and either side of R28.

Are you playing it boxed or attached to a test rig?  I built my original test rig with the Beavis Board-style voltage sag, and that control has bitten me on the butt more than once.

jimilee

Quote from: mgwhit on July 26, 2014, 02:16:35 PM

Okay, thanks.  Just found that on the GPCB Forum.  It wasn't in the PDF I downloaded (or the schematic).

It's weird that you're getting 7.1V on your regulator and ICs.  Test your voltage either side of D4 and either side of R28.

Are you playing it boxed or attached to a test rig?  I built my original test rig with the Beavis Board-style voltage sag, and that control has bitten me on the butt more than once.
I learned from building gpcb boards, BOMS and directions are subject to change without notice, you have the check the website.
http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8230458
Note: If you have an V3 board and not V3B then you will need to run a single jumper wire along the backside of the board. That's it.
Connect a jumper from the 5V output pad of the voltage regulator (IC3) to the extra center pad for the trim pot.
the IC3 pad is marked "O" for Output, top right pad as viewed from the top, top left as viewed from the back of the board.

Quote from: gordo on July 26, 2014, 04:25:56 AM
Got a working board if you want it.  You could trouble shoot from it and end up with two of them.
That'd be cool. I'm pretty sure at this point though, I just need to reflow, Those eyelets are so small.

jimilee

Quote from: mgwhit on July 26, 2014, 02:16:35 PM

I have it on my testing rig with a regulated power supply. Forgive meif I get this wrong,
(+) Anode-9.5 (-) cathode 8.4 R28 since it's parallel to the diode we'll do it the same way. (+) 7.5 (-) 8.8

jimilee

So for those of you keeping score, reflowing everything fixed it!

blearyeyes

Cool Jimi, glad you got it working!

jimilee

Quote from: blearyeyes on July 27, 2014, 03:03:50 AM
Cool Jimi, glad you got it working!
Thanks. It was a stupid rookie mistake. Those eyelets are so tiny on that board, and I've been doing this for a while, and well...

blearyeyes

Yea well I just went through a week of frustration after putting 2 LEDs in backwards.. It happens to us all...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk