News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aristocrat volume issues

Started by teknoman2, July 24, 2014, 09:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknoman2

Does anyone have any issues with volume whine when you engage both channels and have maximum gain pots?
It only happens when both volume pots are 12 o clock and when both gain pots are on maximum,
when I roll down a little bit any gain pot or volume pot it disappears.
I have added the High gain mod, just put a 250k gain pot on one side of the effect everything else is stock.
Is that normal for this effect?

jimilee

I wouldn't think so, usually whine is a power issue, or so I once read here.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mgwhit

I just tested mine, High Gain channel cascaded into Low Gain channel, both set for soft clipping using the secret sauce diodes. And, yes, there is a whine with both Gain pots maxed, both Volumes at noon and both Tones above 2 o'clock.  My solution: never do this.  ;)

madbean

That is pretty much the answer. Higher gain always offers opportunities for oscillation and unwanted feedback when you are cascading OD or boosts. If you want to undo it, revert back to the 100k pot on the gain control. Or, do like I have the 8Ball set up: it is a 250k pot with a 680k resistor in parallel. This gets you to an in-between point.

teknoman2

Thanx again all for the replies.

cheers,
Panos.