News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

oh man, this bass - 6 strings, E-e, short scale ... with a frigging whammy bar

Started by midwayfair, July 21, 2014, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

GermanCdn

I picked up the Squier Bass VI, it's surprising how much fun you can have with it.  Really needs proper bass tuners though.  Don't use the whammy that much, but it might be cool.  Lots of fun to be had for under $300.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Betty Wont

I've got a Bass VI with humbuckers. Bass VI into a Stage Fright into a cranked Orange 100H into a 4x15 cab. This is my happy place. I can godheadSilo all day long.

m-Kresol

That is a beauty indeed and awesome to play I assume.
Eastwood also makes these wonderful guitars which Joey Burns from Calexico is playing for years now.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

lincolnic

I'm glad they don't make those left-handed, because otherwise I probably would've impulse-bought one.

Effectsiation

Are these instruments really basses or are they baritone guitars?  The string size makes me think the latter.

GermanCdn

The Bass VI models and their variants are tuned down an octave, so they are in the bass range, not the baritone range.  The EBMM Silohouette Baritone is convertible, it can be strung as a baritone or as a 6 string bass.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Betty Wont

Quote from: Effectsiation on July 21, 2014, 07:59:08 PM
Are these instruments really basses or are they baritone guitars?  The string size makes me think the latter.
mine is tuned E-E with .25-.95s.  I'd call it a bass all the way.

jkokura

I'd rather play a 5 string, or a baritone. I have no idea how you'd play a Bass VI.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Betty Wont

Robert Smith of the Cure used the Bass VI as the root of his instrumentation. It features on most of their songs. The Beatles were using it later in their output. And anyone who's seen Spinal Tap knows it is the guitar that never gets played, don't even look at it.