News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dm2 is back?

Started by the3secondrule, July 15, 2014, 07:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Belling only makes (in production) the 3207. It no longer produces the 3208 and I dont believe it ever made a 3205.

So... either it is Cool Audio -OR- they are doing something new/in-house.

aion

Here's more info: http://www.bossus.com/go/boss_snamm_2014/

Very interesting. Good to see that they're not going all-in on the MSP/COSM stuff. I saw that they released MSP versions of the OD-1 and DS-1 recently, which I don't think anyone was really asking for. But it's reassuring to see that they still have a place for analog.

I'm wondering about their SD-1w. They say it's been redesigned with "all analog, discrete" circuitry. The original SD-1 is basically a Tube Screamer, a classic op-amp circuit where people can hear the difference between say a JRC4558 and a 4559. It's possible that they made two discrete op amps (one for clipping and one for tone) and otherwise kept the circuit topography the same, but this seems unlikely. So what's their angle? I'd love to see this one traced when it comes out.

electrosonic

worst...demo....ever

There is no indication as to how it sounds. I think I am supposed to be impressed by the guitar player's choice in facial hair / ripped jeans / jewelry / cool boots rather than the actual product. Apparently the guitar says he is "often regarded as one of the leading young electric guitarists of this generation." (according to his website)

Be interested to see a proper demo.

Andrew

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on July 15, 2014, 01:58:15 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on July 15, 2014, 01:26:41 PM
I sincerely doubt that Boss is going to manufacture a pedal with a defunct chip. If it's not cool audio, I'll eat my hat.*

It's possible that Boss has its own house-brand BBDs. If anyone has the cash and connections to make it happen, it's Roland Corp.

I would wager (but I'm not eating headwear) that in order for analog delays to continue being made beyond the onesie-twosie DIY efforts, one of the big companies (or maybe a partnership between two of them) is going to have to take up the cause of getting new chips made. Either that, or Cool Audio is going to have to seriously retool their efforts on the bigger bucket chips.

Yeah, spooling up the a new run of BBDs is definitely not an inexpensive proposal.  The industry seems much more interested in trying to reproduce the NPN versions of the chips (MN3205, MN3208, etc..) than the PNP variants (MN3005, MN3008, etc..) which is too bad.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on July 15, 2014, 02:01:17 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on July 15, 2014, 01:55:45 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on July 15, 2014, 01:26:41 PM
I sincerely doubt that Boss is going to manufacture a pedal with a defunct chip. If it's not cool audio, I'll eat my hat.*

Ah, that's very interesting.  I didn't realize they had cut over.  I assumed they had a supply of the BL chips, but that doesn't sound like it.

*I don't have a hat, so this is a safe bet either way, suckers.

Yeah, you are probably right.

Does the Carbon Copy use the Cool Audio chips?  For some reason, I thought it was the BL.

No, the newer CC and the Malekko are both Cool Audio. I think the same designer was involved in both.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper