News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Going Panasonic ECQ-V - A few questions

Started by rullywowr, July 14, 2014, 05:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

I'm set on taking the plunge and "upgrading" my capacitor stash to all Panasonic ECQ-V.  I have selected straight leads (no kink) and all the values from 10n-1uF.  Got a pretty nice cart loaded on Mouser and about to pull the trigger.

Nothing wrong with my current stash which is a mixture of Tayda, Wima, Epcos, and Kemet.  The Panasonics are very nice and sexy and perhaps the best one can use in pedals.

It seems that ECQ-V does not go down below 10n.  :(

I'm just wondering for those who build with ECQ-V...What do you use for values of 1n to 10n?  Epcos or Wima box?  Any tips you can share about the ECQ-V caps would be appreciated!  Thanks :)
-Ben

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

Better get them now, the ECQ-V are being discontinued.  It's a bummer because they are my preferred cap.

I like the EPCOS box caps but there are many options.  You can also get lower value chicklet style caps from Steve at Small Bear.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

Thanks, PD.  That's a bummer, I think I will up my order then. 

Have you had good luck with Topmay caps?  They look legit, just like ECQ....but a little pricey from Smallbear @ $0.20 a pop (ecqs are like $0.08 in smaller values at Mouser per 100).

pickdropper

They work fine, but are a little taller, like the old ECQ-B series.  It doesn't usually cause an issue but it is possible it would be a problem for the larger values in something like a 1590a
Function f(x)

Blues Healer

I've got several values of the ECB-Qs that I ordered in lots of 100.

for the lower values, I usually get the Epcos if I order 100, or the Kemet MMKs if it's less than that.

and you're right in not getting the Panasonics with kinked leads -- they're hard to work with. I ordered 100 by mistake. I've noticed that with most of those caps, you have to pay attention to the package. Some of the box caps come with long leads, some come with short leads.
"music heals"

Stomptown

Quote from: pickdropper on July 14, 2014, 05:29:58 PM
Better get them now, the ECQ-V are being discontinued.  It's a bummer because they are my preferred cap.
When did this happen?

pickdropper

It's just about to happen.  Final order is about a year from now so we all have time to stock up.
Function f(x)

RobA

Quote from: pickdropper on July 14, 2014, 08:50:17 PM
It's just about to happen.  Final order is about a year from now so we all have time to stock up.
Well that sucks. I was just getting into liking these more than the Epcos and Wima box caps (on a purely aesthetical looks basis). I guess it's time to start exploring SMD for film caps too.

Thanks for the heads up. It's good to know these things early.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

pickdropper

SMT film caps get pricey (especially PPS).  Hopefully, they'll come down in time.

I plan on having a metric truckload of the Panasonics on hand when they go EOL.  Luckily, there aren't that many values.

FWIW, Steve at Small Bear said he was going to stock heavy on them as well.
Function f(x)

Stomptown

Quote from: pickdropper on July 14, 2014, 09:58:40 PM
SMT film caps get pricey (especially PPS).  Hopefully, they'll come down in time.

I plan on having a metric truckload of the Panasonics on hand when they go EOL.  Luckily, there aren't that many values.

I'm thinking a group buy this winter is in order and maybe next summer as well. Anything to bring the prices down; especially on the 1uF's!

flanagan0718

Quote from: Stomptown on July 15, 2014, 01:53:02 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on July 14, 2014, 09:58:40 PM

I'm thinking a group buy this winter is in order and maybe next summer as well. Anything to bring the prices down; especially on the 1uF's!

You can count me in on a LARGE order if this is gonna happen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrindCustoms

I never really used those, though i like them... ...but since they'll be obsolete... time to hoard like a day with no tomorrow! ;D

Absolutely in for a GB if it happens.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

rullywowr

No way. I'm buying them all :P

Thanks for all the good advice as usual!  Looking forward to the sexy look of the ecq-v

sdlogan9

I'm in on a GB too!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io