News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thinking of doing an OD build...There are so many!

Started by flanagan0718, July 14, 2014, 01:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

These are the ones I'm looking at. Recommendations please. (keep in mind I've never done a klon)

-Madbean Sunking II
-Madbean Kingslayer II
-GCFX Chimaera
-GCFX Catch 22
-Madbean Neutrino

Thanks in advance!

PhiloB

I really love the MB Neutrino.  As far as Klons, I've only ever owned an original Sunking.  For my rig/ear, much prefer the Neutrino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flanagan0718

Quote from: PhiloB on July 14, 2014, 01:37:40 PM
I really love the MB Neutrino.  As far as Klons, I've only ever owned an original Sunking.  For my rig/ear, much prefer the Neutrino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This particular build has been calling my name for a couple weeks. I think I even have to doc in my "To  Do" folder. Might need to order some Copper clad and etch a couple.

jimilee

It really depends on what you're looking for. I have a klon, a byoc bass  overdrive, a big bass overdrive a game of tones a bluesbreaker, a greenbean, maybe others. they all give me different sounds. I say build them all.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

flanagan0718

Quote from: jimilee on July 14, 2014, 02:20:49 PM
It really depends on what you're looking for. I have a klon, a byoc bass  overdrive, a big bass overdrive a game of tones a bluesbreaker, a greenbean, maybe others. they all give me different sounds. I say build them all.

Not helping ;) j/k. I've never really been an OD guy. Just looking to explore the category. I'm not the big of a fan of the TS9. That's why I was thinking something of the Klon style or Eternity variety. I do have a little clipper Clipper Ship board too.

GermanCdn

I guess to actually make a recommendation, the question that needs to be asked is what kind of amp you're going to be running it into and what kind of guitar is feeding it.  There are also overdrives out there that are not TS based (like the Sparkplug, the drives with Baxandall tone stacks, the Zen based circuits) which offer some different flavours as well.  Then you need to mate them up with the right compressor and the right boosts.....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

flanagan0718

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 14, 2014, 03:04:34 PM
I guess to actually make a recommendation, the question that needs to be asked is what kind of amp you're going to be running it into and what kind of guitar is feeding it.  There are also overdrives out there that are not TS based (like the Sparkplug, the drives with Baxandall tone stacks, the Zen based circuits) which offer some different flavours as well.  Then you need to mate them up with the right compressor and the right boosts.....

oooo I didn't think of that. I've got a Bear Hug in progress and I play (mainly) a Gibson SG with the standard 490 pups. My amp is a Peavey prowler 35watt 1x12 tube amp (kind of like a Valveking but less gain).

pickdropper

Build them all is clearly the correct answer here.  :-)

If you only box your favorites, it won't even cost that much more.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

flanagan0718

Quote from: pickdropper on July 14, 2014, 03:31:58 PM

Build them all is clearly the correct answer here.  :-)

If you only box your favorites, it won't even cost that much more.

I did just order some copper clad...and I could always sell the populated PCBs I didn't like. Damn it, looks like I have a long night of etching.

wgc

you should add the egghead and sparkplug to the list

I like the neutrino too, but FYI there's two versions
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

twin1965

Quote from: wgc on July 14, 2014, 04:01:39 PM
you should add the egghead

I Second that! Tasty overdrive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

the3secondrule

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jtn191

The catch 22 is basically a Timmy, right?

I'd say build a klon based pcb if you want a vox-ish od. Great clean boost, gain is kind of like a refined TS. The Timmy is kind of in that camp too--never tried it...seems more flexible, more "transparent"

The Neutrino is more tube-screamer like...build that one for maybe a more obvious, mid-heavy blues kind of thing.

All good choices...Neutrino would be towards the end on my list...but when I want "Tubescreamer", it's the one I reach for. A less tube screamery tube screamer. If that makes sense.

jubal81

Yep, gotta stuff a bunch of boards. But that's the good thing about doing what we do - we can audition just about every dirt under the sun and pick our favorites.

Here's a couple for the list that I really like:
Sweet Honey & Mysterioso
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair