News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thinking of cutting the "cable"...

Started by flanagan0718, July 07, 2014, 01:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Used Hulu exclusively (with a US VPN account) for 18 months when I lived in Germany, worked great, didn't miss cable except for CFL games and could still stream them the next day on TSN anyway (for all the non-Canadians out there, think NFL and ESPN).

Spend way too much on cable now, as I can watch all the major networks on my iPad or Surface.  I like Netflix, but it really promotes binge watching, which is not terribly productive.  Would be nice if it had newer content then it does (again, talking about the Canadian version, US version might be a little more up to date).

The only reason we keep cable is for the specialty channels (Food shows, travel shows, etc) as Bonnie really likes those.

Have gotten in trouble over torrents a few times, so I generally avoid that route anymore.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Droogie

Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Droogie on July 07, 2014, 09:56:05 PM
And of course there's this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcny_pixDw

I showed this video to all our executives at my work when they were making me sign a bulk account contract with Comcast here in February. Had everyone rolling.

Cody

blearyeyes

I use and older Windows box and a TV with a VGA input. bought wireless keyboard for 20 bucks and never looked back. Want to get an antenna I hear that most of the LA stations are available where my house is...

AllenM

Satellite free for 4+ years. Never really watched TV enough to justify the money. Decided to drop the service and up my internet speed for video and gaming. I am on my third ROKU - upgrade when features / quality justify and recycle my old boxes to friends / family to get them started. Mainly use Netflix and Amazon Prime plus I have an antenna in the attic for the occasional live TV or sports.

Lately Amazon Prime has stepped up (even with the price increase) when they added HBO back catalog and now with the Amazon Music I get access to thousands of free albums. Plus I love the free 2nd day air.

AllenM

jkokura

I've been Cableless for a long time now. Don't miss it, except for sports.

Every time I get to watch TV I get shocked by the commercials. They're really toxic.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

flanagan0718

Quote from: jkokura on July 09, 2014, 06:12:29 PM
I've been Cableless for a long time now. Don't miss it, except for sports.

Every time I get to watch TV I get shocked by the commercials. They're really toxic.

Jacob

Yes the commercials are awful. There are some that i feel uncomfortable watching :-[

alanp

Ads always make me want to put my FIST through the screen.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website